From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:59:30 -0400
[2-part post combined]

I submit the following, in memory of my deceased two and a sweet little
neglected boy who died at our clinic last year:

Renate-it means reborn in French, and it was the name of my first sick
rescue; it fit her perfectly, as she was a different ferret with us than
when she first came to us.  I think it might be perfect for the "bag of
bones" lady you think has such will-so did my Ren.

Sparkle-Another sick rescue whose owners didn't get her the necessary
treatment in time and who died young, after only a week or so in my care.

Thor-His owners have no business ever getting another pet, and we told
them so.  I didn't know him long, but I'd love for someone to carry his
name and keep a part of him alive.  He was a little champagne boy, I
think, but he was so filthy when we met, it was hard to be sure... :(

The names of my current crew are certainly available for your use:

Nicodemus-Chocolate Siamese point sable.  Smallest male, yet the alpha;
very playful with ferrets AND people, the most active and wildest player,
yet the snuggle bug of the group, too.  Despite his alpha nature and
championship wrestling skills, he also tends to know who isn't feeling
good and gives them extra love and checks up on them!  Loves showers,
tubs, any water source-otter trapped in a ferret's body... Daddy's boy,
but snuggles Mommy every day!  Our first and youngest; 100% with the
potty since day 1.  Has an extensive bubblewrap and tissue packet
collection.

Cora-Chocolate Siamese point sable.  The alpha girl and smallest of them
all, she was abused before I got her and tries to bite people she doesn't
know when they pick her up.  She doesn't break skin and isn't trying to
hurt, but it's all she's got.  She bit me once when I first got her, and
never again, even when we play rough.  Once she trusts you, she won't
bite you, and doesn't even try to bite at the vet's office when we take
blood (she bit the vet at her first visit last year, which i why I have
her!  She was a Rescue League ferret, and we were afraid they'd put her
down with no vax history).  She is one of the most fun ferrets I've
met-LOVES to wrestle the big boys, play tag with people, etc-my husband
says she doesn't know how to walk, only to run, bounce or war dance.
Loves the tub, too.

Shannon-Black hooded sable, wannebe silver mitt.  The little mama of the
group; loves to groom everyone, even people.  Prefers (when not a big
fatty from possible adrenal problems at the moment) quiet exploration
to rough play, likes to sleep.  She hates a closed door-she was found
in the attic of an abandoned apartment building.  Will put herself to
bed in ferret-designated areas no matter where she's exploring-she
climbed upstairs the other day and curled up on the floor in front of
their room b/c it was closed!

Finnegan-Albino.  My biggest boy, he also hates closed doors, but is very
active in trying to open them.  He is also the monkey in the group, and
likes to climb stuff.  He is gifted at opening cabinets and other doors,
and I think his need to know what is behind, under and next to any object
(he is often found lying on his side using all fours to shove a large,
heavy box) would have led to his being an archaeologist if he were
human... He and Nicky are best friends; Nicky picked HIM out at the
shelter when we went to get a second ferret, and they have been glued
together since they met.

Marley-Dark champagne (he was ORANGE with malnutrition when he came
here).  Renate's brother, he is a very sweet, quiet little guy who now
has insulinoma.  He hates to be held, but will permit you to pet him if
he's curled up in his hammy.  He is the mellowist, nicest boy ever, and
loves plastic bags passionately.  He and Shannon will both sleep in bags
if given the chance.  He will occasionally wrestle, and loves the tubes,
but doesn't really go in for toys, and his war dancing is so rare that
it makes it even more of a joy to watch when he does it.  He
uncharacteristically got very excited and slap happy when my hubby got
out his putting green in the house-of course, after 15 minutes of PLAYING
with golf balls, trying to get in the cup and attacking thr golf club,
he stopped when I got out the video camera... He will never get into
trouble, gets along with everyone, and was good to his sick sister.  He
has a freckle-face, and very expressive ears!

Bandit-Former sable, now a black hooded sable.  My most recent permanent
rescue, he was adrenal when dumped at the Rescue League, his third home
at age 5.  After an aborted attempt at removing his very bad right
adrenal, two Lupron shots have turned him into a totally different
ferret-he turned into a black hooded sable with soft, all-over fur.  We
are trying again with the adrenal removal after trying to shrink the
tumor with Lupron.  He got sick and anorexic with shelter shock after he
was dumped last, and I couldn't bear to turn him over to yet another home
at his age.  He loves being with other ferrets (he was alone for his
whole life) and has learned to play.  He stands up and paws my leg for
attention like Nic and Cora do, and he likes to climb on my shoulder
when I'm against my husband-style bed pillow.  He did try to eat the
double-yellow-headed Amazon parrot that lives in my vet hospital, so I
guess he has no fear (like most of them don't, I guess!).... he figured
out how to open the hospital cage, left that part of the hospital and
entered the bird room.  No harm done to the bird-he just held its head in
his mouth-other than the bird had to have a prophylactic antibiotic for
two weeks-and now we latch that cage with a caribeaner, too, when
something's in it!!!

Hope that helps, and thanks for helping these kids!

Dooks,
April AC