From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 02:13:39 -0500
Julianna -

I couldn't agree with you more about adopting older ferrets.  I have adopted
three, two of them with medical problems, and I have not regretted a minute.
I have not even regretted the sorrow.

Bizzy came to me at age 6, half naked, with a personality much like you
describe Coco as having.  She was only with us for a year, despite good
medical attention, but she was a joy to have in the house.  Her sweet face
and her interest in everyone won all our hearts.  When we remember her, we
still say that it was an honor to have known her.  Baby came with her at age
4 and is now 6yo.  She is fat and lazy and loves to be cuddled.  She also
loves to chase my niece around the living room, much to my niece's delight.
Thank God, she is still healthy and strong.  Esme' came to us lame and
terrified at age 5.  She is now 6yo and has been diagnosed with both
insulinoma, for which she had surgery, and adrenal disease, for which she
is now too fragile to stand surgery.  She totters cheerfully around the
room once or twice a day after I feed her her soup, but her real pleasure
is lying next to me on the couch while I gently scratch her neck.

I always knew that Bizzy and Esme's days were numbered, but what a joy it
was and is to share those days with them.  They need more care, so they
become more dear to my heart.  They were unwanted, so I deeply rejoice in
knowing that they know they are loved now.  Maybe it's like having my own
Sunshine Foundation, fulfilling the heart's desires of these terminally ill
children?  They certainly bring sunshine to my life.  My time with my three
old girls will have been short, but it will not have lacked anything except
time.

Blessings
Judith