From:
Rob Adlers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:20:00 PDT
Carol-Anne....

Portney sounds like a silly furrball who's still learning the ropes.

Gabby, my little one, hissed at what ever she'd get annoyed by, but didn't
bite. She doesn't hiss as much now....but still gives her little protests
now and then.

Mindy, on the other hand, used to get all hyper and would bite at anything
in her space. My favourite was Mindy's whining and poop protests. When ever
I'd put her back in the cage before she was ready.....a pooping protest
would occur. She'd back herself quickly into the corner and stare you right
in the eye while she went.....Then, she became familiar with my 7:00 am wake
ups with the alarm clock, and would grab onto the bars of the cage and shake
them frantically, accompanied by the biggest session of whining... You
know....the frustration RRRRRR! type.

Mindy's much better nowadays. The poop protests, unfortunately, have been
moved to restricted doors. Most of the doors she'd not allowed
through....have little piles beside them when I come home. Gabby supports
her in this protest....

I'd give Portney a little more time to adjust. He might be letting you know
he's had enough, is upset, doesn't get what's going on....not in the proper
manner, but see if you can help him get used to the concept. My Gabby has
just come around (read my previous post). The other furrballs in the
household do a lot to help you with this as well.

What Mindy's big problem is with other animals (aside from humans and
ferrets) in that she assumes they're like humans and ferrets- won't hurt
her, can attack them withouth worry. She likes to nip at the heals of cats.
WELL, my parent's cat taught her a lesson on that one. Pika (the cat) decked
her three times in the head one day...full claws and all....Pika doesn't
tolerate annoying habits. She's also a big hunter....get the pain picture?
Mindy learned from that one I tell you. Kept her distance afterwards. I had
to let Pika do this. Mindy wasn't learning any other way from me or Pika.
Pika let her know what's acceptable with her, and what wasn't.

I ran a little character test with Pika and the two furrballs the other day.
I put Gabby (who isn't as aggressive as Mindy) down beside Pika. Pika didn't
care too much and sniffed her out and was OK with her being there.
Then......out came Mindy.....Pika took one look at her and ran for the
basement....she hasn't forgotten about Mindy.....<g>

If it gets worse....well then.....I wouldn't know either....

Rob, Mindy & Gabby
One for All, and All for ONE!