From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 20:26:56 -0700
A lot of discussion lately has centered around ferrets preference for a
dark place to sleep and our need to offer them as healthy a life as we can.
Intending that it provide them a healthy place to sleep, I wanted 'nest
boxes'.

The first one I tried was a small plastic animal carrier.  Their breath
caused condensation to form and dampen their bedding.  The walls of the
carrier were always wet.  Sleeping ferrets must breath a LOT!

We next tried a paper box from computer paper.  I cut a nice round hole
in a side and added a sleep sack.  This was much better, and the ferrets
liked it, but the box didn't offer much in the way of esthetic appeal.
The ferrets room is, after all, their domicile, and certainly worthy of
quality furnishings!  What to do, what to do?

There were some temporarily empty storage boxes available.  Covered with
a nice floral print pattern, they were only marginally larger than the
computer paper box.  Each half of the ferret room now has one of these,
with the round hole for ingress/egress, and a couple of sleep sacks in
each one.  They are positioned so that sunlight does not shine on the
opening, and neither is directly on the floor.

Oh, and the floral boxes, in muted tones, are delightful with the ferrets
ivy patterned floor.  Have I mentioned their room is wallpapered and they
have linen roman shades at their windows?

Georgia - the left coast one...