Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:45:33 -0500
Pu-leez, there was never a 'breed' or 'type' of ferret known as Demi
Gigas. Demi Gigas was a name that Doug McKay gave several of his large
sable hobs. Demi Gigas, Demi Gigas 1, 2, etc. There are several reasons
I know this. First is because I purchased a ferret from Doug McKay back
in the early 90's and one of my ferret's relatives was named Demi Giga.
Second is Doug regularly entered his ferrets in the International
Ferret Association (IFA) shows and I still have those show catalogs
that list his entries.

There was nothing special about these ferrets, they were sable and they
were big. Lately I've been seeing large ferrets in the show ring and
honestly breeders should not be trying to breed cat sized ferrets.
Ferrets were never meant to be that large and breeding for outside
what is considered normal sized for ferrets should be discouraged.

Just my 2 cents.
Vickie

Vickie McKimmey

Just a Business of Ferrets
www.jbferret.com
American Ferret Association
Director of Shows and Special Events
www.ferret.org
Author of Ferrets: An Animal Planet Pet Care Library Series Book