From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:27:28 -0500
>From:    Angela Huser <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rabies Vaccinations
>
>I forgot to add something to my last post.  The two fuzzbutts that we
>took in this weekend recently went to their vet prior to us getting them.
>They had their semi-annual checkup and their rabies shots.  My concern
>is this...the rabies vaccination that each one was given was a 3-yr shot
>by Merial.  Am I missing something, or is there NOT a 3-yr vaccination
>for ferts?

If you look in a new copy of "The Compendium on Rabies Control" published
by JAVMA you will find a section listing all rabies vaccines.  The only
one listed for ferrets is IMRAB-3 manufactured by Merial.  It is labeled
as a 3 year vaccine for dogs and some other animals, but only 1 year for
ferrets.  I don't know the laws of other states, but the law in Florida
requires that all animals be vaccinated yearly, never mind the 3 years on
the label.  But the only vaccine labled for ferrets says to vaccinate
them once a year.  so in answer to your question, no, there is not a 3
year vaccine for ferrets.

--
Russ