From:
Michelle Z Matta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:15:30 -0400
We've tried just about everything possible to ferret-proof the couch.  Ever
since I signed on to this list however long ago, I've curiosly watched each
helpful post on how to ferret proof your couch.

2 years after the fact, bottom line is we need a new couch.

We have a waterbed mattress (I'll give you 3 guesses) stapled to the bottom
of the couch and about 5 rolls of duct tape blocking the space where the
seat of the couch meets the back of the couch.  The little ones are slowly
working at tugging at the duct tape until it comes off.  We originally tried
sewing material to the couch to cover that gap, but with one good tug - rip.
We've got a number of holes dug into the seat of the couch that are covered
for the time being with duct tape, and most of our seat cushions have duct
tape around te back part from them digging to get underneath.

My last try will be to buy plywood to place between the cushion and the
seat.  My parents have this for support on their couch, and so far they
can't get into the couch over there.

So, can a couch be ferret-proofed.  No.  Nothing, I am finding, can be fully
ferret-proofed if they have their minds set on destroying it.  Unless of
course you sell all of your furniture and live in one room filled with dryer
hose and litter boxes.  And even then, I'm sure they'd find something...

- Mish

Carnegie Mellon University......Athletic Dept
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mish/home.html
(Departmental)....http://www.cmu.edu/athletic