From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 03:02:09 GMT
Yes, I've noticed this, and I think it's incredibly rude.  Most of the
shelters I've donated to have been very gracious about responding, so I
guess I've had better luck than you have.  But there are a few who won't
be hearing from me again.

What's worse, some people even seem to feel that donars should be
thanking THEM for the right to donate.  At Christmas, when a few posters
commented that they hadn't heard from the shelters to whom they took the
time to donate items, there was at least one poster who came out and said
something to the effect that the Santas are just doing it for the good
feeling anyway, so they should stop whining and feel grateful to the
shelters for taking their stuff whether the shelter operators (who had
enough time to write up a cute message before they got their packages,
who find time to post sad stories year-round) got around to acknowledging
it or not.  I sent out twenty packages and got really sweet responses
from most of the recipients.  Just as a practical matter, you can bet I
want to send future goodies where I know they're doing the most good.
And how do I know where they're doing good if people don't tell me?  I
would still donate (money, supplies, valuable objects to sell) to those
rude shelters-- for the sake of the ferrets--if there weren't other
shelters out there who are also helping ferrets, and who let me know that
I'm actually doing good--without me having to hunt them down and ask if
they got it.

I do understand when people don't acknowledge gifts right away--shelters
are hectic places, and paypal doesn't always send notice right away.  A
gift may not be noticed until the monthly statement.  But a shelter that
never acknowledges gifts obvoiusly doesn't need them, and therefore won't
get them.  Not from me.

It makes me especially sad that you needed to post anonymously.  I'm
just a ferret lover, and I expect to be pounded (or given the silent
treatment) if I say something like what you did.  This is a small town,
after all.  But I would have hoped that you, as a shelter operator, would
somehow be immune to all that.  I'm so sorry, and I hope you don't give
up.  I'll post soon, letting you know at least some of the shelters that
have been given support to their supporters.

[RN]