From:
Roytman Sergej <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1993 08:25:46 -0400
OK, what is it with the war dance?  Does it have any real significance,
or is it just an example of how far ferrets are from their wild past?
When I play with my Belka she bounces backward and waves her head from
side to side, pretty much oblivious to what I'm doing.  It's a bit like
swinging one's fists with one's eyes closed and hoping to hit
something --- though I don't think she's really serious about this now
that we've established our relative positions on the food chain :-).

I mean, I understand how a ferret can do this if it's happy (like about
getting in my bed and rearranging everything on it!), but war-dancing
seems like a pretty impractical way to fight.  Perhaps it is more
effective in some specific situation, like inside a mouse-burrow?

Sergej Roytman