From:
Tatia Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 15:24:33 -0500
I have to agree completely with Kymberlie's post about keeping a safe
environment for your babies by caging them when they are not supervised.

A couple of years ago, we lost Taz - who had become my mother's pet after I
moved out on my own.  She had been around ferrets for 7 or 8 years because I
had them and we had always let them have the run of the house most of the
time.  Here's what happened - and I have since, heard this story from others
it's happened to.

Mom was doing laundry (vents were secured after a succesful escape) and
while she was loading the dryer and turned her back for a second, Taz jumped
inside.  He had never done this before and she didn't know he was in there.
As you can imagine, she was hysterical when the cycle finished and she found
him.  She has sworn off pets even though she loves animals.  The guilt and
pain is too much for her to risk with another pet.

So, to jump on Kymberlie's soapbox...scoot over girl....Please keep your
babies caged when you can't keep an eye on them.  We have 2 male kits under
6 months old - they are confined to our bedroom/bath area and are happy as
pigs in slop.  As far as they are concerned, outside the bedroom door is the
edge of the earth.  We don't have to worry about them getting under the
fridge/couch/ in the walls, etc.  They don't know the difference and
couldn't care less.

Everybody have a great weekend.  My 29th birthday is tomorrow (May 17) and
my youngest kit (Spanky) was by birthday present from my SO.  (Got Spanky
about a month ago)  I can't think of a better present, can you?

Dooks and kisses to all!
Tatia