From:
DAPHNE REDDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 12:53:15 -0700
We had a minor disaster this week, and I needed some input from other
ferret people. Really bad storms this week, tons of rain and my
basement and ferret room actually flooded. Been here 13 years and the
ferret room, which is a couple of inches higher then the rest of the
basement is soaked. Ferret food, poo, wood stove pellets, wet bedding
and newspaper tends to make a wet stinky mess of things. The ferrets
were all perfectly fine, plenty of tall cages and places for them to
get out of the muck, and now they are safely residing in cages upstairs
while we clean and sanitize. The issue comes as we pulled up the old
linoleum flooring as I did not feel I could sanitize beneath it so up
it came. Now do I leave the concrete floor, put down new linoleum,
carpet, tile, or simply paint/seal the concrete. Any thoughts and
experience with this would be appreciated. We all know how messy
fuzzies can be, so ease of cleaning is important. Money is of course
a consideration, as funds are limited as they usually are for small
shelters. We are adding new gutters and hoping to keep water out of
the basement as much as possible in the future....but of course it
could happen again, so I am trying to keep that in mind as well.

Please share any thoughts and experiences you have had so I can make a
more educated decision on flooring for these guys.

Thanks,
Daphne
Forget-Me-Not-Ferrets of Quincy, IL