From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:52:02 -0500
>From:    Jay V <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fur loss
>
>Perhaps he (and anyone with extensive experience with this problem) will
>do a post on adrenal tumors in ferrets?  I would not ask, but it seems
>to be such a common problem that I'm probably not the only ferret-owner
>interested.

I'm not a vet, but I have had a bit of experience with adrenal disease,
having had five ferrets with the disease.  I have also read probably every
word ever written on the disease and though I don't always fully understand
when the article gets too heavy into medical terminology, I have a fair
grasp of what's going on.  Trying to keep my "Adrenal and Insulinoma in the
domestic ferret" website up to date also keeps me on top of the subject.

Up to 70% of all ferrets in the U.S.  will develop adrenal disease [Dr.
Weiss] and it is one of the most common diseases (right up there with
insulinoma) we face with our ferrets, so you are right in that regard.

The most common symptom of adrenal disease is progressive alopecia (hair
loss).  Over 90% of ferrets with adrenal disease will have some hair loss
[Dr. Rosenthal] and over 70% of female ferrets will have an enlarged vulva
[Dr. Rosenthal].  Hair loss often begins on the rump, across the shoulders
or the tops of the feet.  But hair loss is certainly not restricted to
these areas and can begin elsewhere.  The hair loss is rarely sudden (it
may appear so if one is not paying attention) so if your ferret has
"suddenly" lost hair, there may be other causes, which are not common.
Generally, hair loss begins so slowly that one is often in denial that hair
loss is actually occurring.  Been there, done that just about every time
with mine.  Eventually it becomes quite obvious that there is a problem.

Radiographs (x-rays) are generally not useful in detecting adrenal tumors.
Ultrasound can be useful, but this can return mixed results too.  I can
personally report that two of my ferrets with adrenal problems would not
have been detected by either method.  Both  had adrenal tissue that was
abnormal, but neither gland was noticeably enlarged.  There is also an
adrenal blood panel that can be run by the Endocrinology lab at the
University of Tennessee.  This can be useful in questionable cases, such
as when the only signs are aggression or a return to sexual behavior.  In
my experience, the vast majority of cases can be successfully diagnosed
based on symptoms (hair loss, swollen vulva) alone and money need not be
spent on the adrenal blood panel.

Surgery to remove the affected gland is without a doubt the best course of
action.  Ferrets are tough little critters and even older ferrets, in the
hands of an experienced surgeon, can have adrenal surgery and recover quite
well.  As you mentioned, there are risks with any surgery.  Dr. Williams
has recently pointed out that hypothermia is a major concern during
surgical procedures on ferrets.

For ferrets that are not good surgical candidates, the next best treatment
is with Lupron.  This does not cure the disease, but is very effective in
relieving the symptoms.  Lysodren (Mitotane) has been used by some with
some success, but I personally have not had any success with it and it
carries its own problems.  Lysodren is targeted at a different type of
adrenal problem that affects dogs (and humans I believe) and is not the
best course of treatment for ferrets.  I am sure that more than a few
people here will respond that they are using it on their ferrets with
good results.

As for the gland itself... the affected gland may have a malignancy, but in
the cases where it does, there is rarely any metastasis.  Removal of the
gland is usually curative, though many times, symptoms will return within a
year, indicating a problem in the other gland.  There are some that have
had adrenal surgery performed, one gland removed and no relief of symptoms
resulted.  This would seem indicate the other gland is affected even though
it had a normal appearance.  Of course this is not always the case, just my
personal experience and that of others.

Adrenal disease may appear to be a cosmetic disease due to the most common
symptom of hair loss, but it is not that simple and should not be left
untreated.  Male ferrets can develop life-threatening urinary blockages
due to prostate enlargement and long term vulva swelling in females is an
invitation for infection.  Of course there are other problems that may
present themselves: thinning of muscle mass and skin, osteoporosis [Bob
Church], pruritis (itchy skin), excessive water intake, aggression,
lethargy, etc.

Note that in untreated ferrets, hair loss is often cyclic.  Many people
have reported their ferrets growing back their hair for no apparent reason.
No treatment was provided or they've used some magic remedy and their
ferret appears to be cured.  Sadly, this is often short lived and usually
seasonal.  Ferrets who grow back their hair for no reason will almost
certainly lose it again within the next six months or during the next coat
change.  This cycle can often repeat a few times, but eventually it will
get to a point where the symptoms are there to stay until the ferret is
treated for the disease.

There are a million other things that can be and have been said about
adrenal disease.  I hope the little bit of info and opinion that I've
provided will be useful.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc