From:
Dag & Cate B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:27:56 -0700
After reading Amy Mc's post requesting volunteers for the GCFA I want to
encourage the numerous Chicagoland people to take advantage of this plea
for help.  I was a volunteer when I lived in the Chicago area.  I began a
month after I brought home Vinnie, my first ferret, and the experiences I
gained while working there are invaluable to me.  When I began I knew very
little about ferrets so I was asked to just play with the them.  Can you
imagine a better way to spend your time than cuddling, petting, tickling,
wrastlin', grooming, and loving these darling animals that have been, for
various reasons, given up to a shelter?  I volunteered to clean out the
cages - an easy task as cages are cleaned daily & no mess was too great.
I helped with play time, and I asked to be trained to clean ears, trim
nails, give feedings, meds and even, at my insistence, shown how to give
sub-q fluids.  I learned alot about adrenal and insulinoma first hand.  I
learned a little about ulcers and ECE.  This is in no way to imply that I
now know everything about ferrets, but when Howie first started with his
tumor I was able to recognize it and get him quickly to a vet.  (In other
words, I am no longer clueless!)

I also met so many wonderful, caring people, especially Norm & Mary, who
taught me about non-ferret things, like responsibility, caring and
friendship.

The shelter is ECE exposed, yet in all my time I never brought it home with
me, even after adopting three ferrets from the shelter.  I am not saying it
couldn't have happened, but with simple precautions, it never did.

The GCFA is a no-kill shelter and has had up to 140 critters inside of it's
doors at a time.  The shelter does not operate as a warehouse, but tries
it's best to act as a temporary home until the ferrets are placed into
permanent families.  If you volunteer, at the GCFA or another shelter,
you will be doing a good thing for these homeless animals.

But you will also be doing a wonderful thing for yourself.

Cate B.