From:
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 22:42:08 -0700
>From:    Annie Styer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Too many colors!!! Too many names!!!
>This post brought me to an interesting thought.  With all the confusion
>between different colors, different standards, with different names, and
>different organizations saying what's what, wouldn't it be nice if there
>was ONE standard, one color/pattern chart to follow?

We are among the most common responders to color questions.  We would love
to not have to list a half dozen different names for the same colors and
patterns.

>With the different color patterns, people activly showing their ferrets
>have to earn two separate totals of points because there's the LIFE
>points and AFA point system.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was just one
>show system to acquire points with?

LIFE was originally created exclusively for handling showing of ferrets.
The member clubs were supposed to be independant like you suggest but share
common standard and points.  It was hijacked and all the other activities
came against the original by laws.  The original intent is still carried on
but only the GCFA and the BFC still participate.

More than just two point totals running.  Thus you have AFA, LIFE,
Independant, NAFA and GLFA points you can accrue.  FURO points are not
accrued anymore nor or IFA points.

The independant system will probably come the closest to meeting your
desires but its unfortunately dying.  Well maybe.  The person who was doing
the points database has elected to discontinue.

We had long supported a coalescing of the various groups.  Unfortunately it
has been made quite clear by Howard Davis that he would not permit LIFE to
be involved in anything bill killian is involved in.  This was in a letter
sent by him to the Washington Coalition working for legalization.  Well also
in that letter were threats of the consequences if this was revealed.  All
the other groups (that consist consistently of more than one family) seem to
co-operate even if they haven't fully agreed on the show thing (yet).

Oh well... Unless we go away there won't be such a unification.  We have no
problem with working with anyone as long as they leave personal politics
outside.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/