From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:58:41 -0800
Hi everyone, I know I haven't posted in forever, it's been a busy few
months.  This past summer Lola had an adrenal gland removed, and since I
was interning at the vet's office at the time I got to actually assist
with the surgery.  It was incredibly fascinating, as long as I could keep
from thinking "that is my baby with her guts lying out on the table!"

Anyway, the surgery went perfectly, and although the gland did turn out
to be cancerous the doctor got it all and she is doing wonderfully.  She
has turned into a big fat fluffball rather than the scrawny almost-bald
little creature she was, and I could not be happier about it.

On a sadder note, my dog Ruby, who was twelve years old and wonderful
with the ferrets, had to be put down a few weeks ago.  She had a
hemosarcoma which wasn't even detected until it burst, and by that time
nothing could really be done.  I think I'm all cried out now, but that
dog was one of my best friends.  And she would let the ferrets climb all
over her like a mountain, even letting them nibble her toes.  The weasels
are confused now, they always used to drink out of her water dish and
Sebastian would eat her leftover food.

That brings me to the "real" point of this post: Sebastian, who has
always been my big fat boy, has suddenly started losing weight as well as
hair.  What baffles me is his appetite doesn't seem to have changed; he's
still as food-obsessed as ever.  He's just skinny.  And as far as his
hair, he went through his fall shed and it's like it just didn't grow
back.  He's acting himself and pooping and peeing fine.  Has anyone had
anything like this happen?  How did it turn out?  I'm making him a vet
appointment tomorrow, hopefully I'll find out *something*.

Wish us luck, thanks for putting up with my rambling!

Rachel, Lola, Pukka, and Sebastian the formerly fat