Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 20:33:16 -0500
RE:  The orange fur syndrome.  Our 7 1\2 year old has experienced this for
the last year or so.  She got occasional 3% benzoyl peroxide shampoos
(Pyoben) & this cleared it up.  She can't be shampooed anymore b/c she has an
insulin secreting tumor & had a seizure the last bath she got.

RE:  Change to cat food.  The same illen' ferret (Anais) is also experiencing
moderate kidney failure & has been switched to a lower protein food
(Prescription Diet) b/c it's easier on her kidneys & will help her last
longer.  The 3 yr. old is eating this with no problem.  You might want to
wait a bit before switching the baby though!!

Just a note on Anais.  She was diagnosed in August as not-so-good.  She has
the tumor & b/c of the kidney problem & overall bad prognosis we decided not
to operate.  She's on the Prescription Diet low protein dry food, gets 10ml
of a electrolite solution orally each day (mixed with Nutri-cal to help it go
down !), 10mg prednisone every other day & occasional Nutri-cal supplements.
(Whew.)  We've only seen two seizures since the meds started & even dropped
the Prednisone dose down to every other day b/c she's been doing so well.

Her winter coat is not particularly thick & she sleeps alot, but she  still
has lots of spunk & we're impressed with her tenacity!  We still worry alot,
but in the meantime she's sleeping with us at night (Bo gets caged or he
beats everyone up).

I haven't been writing b/c the AOL mailer chops the end off all my FMLs, so
please if you have any responses or advice for me, could you mail them
directly to me as well as to the list??????  [log in to unmask]

cynthia, colin, anais, mr. bojangles & guinness (the dog)