From:
Pamela Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 10:15:53 -0400
Okay I am going to get major razzing about what I am going to say.

Most everybody on this list loves their fuzzies and are aware of all the
problems with bad breeders, the mega farms and all the shelters stuffed
with ferrets that people buy and get rid of when the novelty wears off.
People are very aware of ferret issues and the problems with pet stores.

Sooooo, why do people persist in going into stores, buying ferrets and
contributing to the problem?  Think about it.  If you ( a knowledgable
person) buys a ferret, the pet store sells out quicker and oh, look, ferrets
are good sellers, so let's get some more in.  It' s a vicious circle.  We,
on this list are aware of the enormous numbers of ferrets in shelters, so
why the hell are some of you still supporting petstores?

It really doesn't make sense.  I know that you go into these stores and the
ferrets are really cute-aren't they all-and you feel like you have to buy
one.So, don't go into petstores.  People on this list complain about trying
to get petstore to stop selling ferrets but YOU are contributing to the
problem.  If you want a new ferret give one from the shelters a new homes.
There are normally lots who would desperatley want a new mommy or daddy.

I know there are always exceptions to this basic problem.  But when I read
these lists and the overlying problen is too many rescues and pet store
practices it really irritates the s--t out of me when people who should
know better buy ferrets from a petstore.

When people write here that they are considering getting a ferret I always
encourage going to a shelter instead of a pet store.  It's a much saner
solution.

This is of course my opinion and others have their own, but it does make
sense.

With all respect,

Pamela with DiDi & Io