Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 07:45:16 -0800
Hi ferret friends,
I usually bite my tongue when I read something on the FML that frustrates
me.  Today, I would like to voice my opinion.  Yesterday, Pam posted for
Andrew in North Carolina, who needs to find a home for his two family's
two ferrets...

He emailed
>...There is nothing wrong with them but my son has outgrown them, and
>they need to be played with more than I can."

I do think it's good that Andrew and his family have turned to Pam and the
FML for help in finding the ferrets a new home as opposed to taking them
to an overcrowded shelter.  I also think that it's good that he is aware
that their cage/playtime situation isn't ideal.

However, I was so sad to see the reason why.  "My son has outgrown them."
This makes me so sad to read.  When a pet is adopted, it is a forever
committment.  I grew up with pets; my siblings and I had various pet care
chores and responsibilities.  Yes, my parents had to remind us to do them
occasionally.  Yes, we grumbled about it occasionally.  But we were taught
that a pet is a forever committment and that we are responsible for
providing them a quality life.

As a teacher, I see so many children with what I call a "garbage
mentality." It's broken?  Throw it away and get a new one.  It's old?
Throw it away and get a new one.  Lost it?  We'll buy a new one.  Don't
want it any more?  Give it away.  It's one thing if you're talking about
a book, totally another when it's a pet.  Perhaps it's time to teach our
children that pets are living creatures that deserve a *lifetime*
committment.

I am not trying to flame Andrew and his family... I am trying to voice my
frustration with this kind of situation.  I volunteer for Rocky's Ferret
Rescue & Shelter in Maryland... I foster Buddy and Holly that came from a
family that didn't make time for them.  When I first met them, Holly was
going bald, her vulva was extremely swollen, red, and inflamed.... Buddy
was also balding, his nails had been so long when he was surrendered that
he couldn't even walk.  They both had mold in their ears.  Yes, MOLD.
Since coming home with me, they are both much happier and healthier,
although both are on melatonin treatment for adrenal.  Buddy was palped a
few days ago and the vet felt a tumor... he will have exploratory surgery
next week.  Holly has regrown all her hair and her vulva is back to
normal.  I cry when I think about the three years they were ignored and
unloved.

I say all this so that you know where my frustration comes from.  If you
want to respond, please carefully read all of my words.  I am not trying
to flame anyone, I am trying to bring attention to this problem.

Vicky Edinger
Ebay Coordinator
Rocky s Ferret Rescue & Shelter
http://www.gfme.com/ferretrescue/
Please visit our webpage to view a list of current auctions