From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:54:29 -0800
Hello all!

I am hoping someone could translate for me the behavior of one of the
house ferrets.

My friend and I became roommates not too long ago, but it was only recently
that I brought my guys into the house.  We have been experiencing pecking
order through fighting (my roommate and I are following the advise of a
recent "Ferret Magazine" on how to handle the "fighting".

First, I must note, my roommate's ferret has been the agressor.  After all,
it's his house since he was there first...typical thinking in the animal
world.  Anyway, I came in last night to witness a fight between my baby and
my roomies' three year old.  My four month old was barking and lunging and
his opponent, while the older one made chortling noises and turned his back
on my guy.  I don't understand this behavior.  What does it mean when a
ferret chortles as if he is playing but is clearly in "battle"?  Also,
what does it mean when that smae chortling ferret turns so his back-end
is facing his opponent?

If anyone can offer an answer to this mystery, pls email me privately.

Thank you,

Lise
p.s., I must note my little one has won most of the battles...one which
sent my roommie's guy to hide in the tub to nurse his hurt pride.  And
it seems the "fighting" or "establishing of pecking order" is almost
completed.  Thank goodness.  I am used to "hoppie" ferrets: peace, love,
and happiness...communal family.