From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:13:26 -0500
Not a vet, but -- Susan, I think that you should call the manufacturers of
these vaccines for several reasons.  If the phone number isn't on the box
use http://www.anywho.com or something similar, or have a reference
librarian look it up.

1. They may be able to convince the vet to not do anything dangerous or
   wasteful in the future, and maybe refer the vet to their own enclosures.
2. They also can tell you in what ***types of tissue (animal source type)
   the vaccine is grown *** and if the viruses which ferrets can get are
   ***live, dead, or weakened *** ,*** partial, or whole***.  Why?  Because
   sometimes a wrong vaccine is something worse than money down a hole
   without protection -- sometimes it will CREATE an infection.  There's
   been a LOT of progress in vaccine in recent years so hopefully that
   risk is lowered.

See if you can get materials from the vaccine manufacturers which DO make
vaccines for ferrets.

You very likely will also want to hand in copies of the relevant pages on
vaccines and which of such illnesses a ferret can contract from a vet text,
or two, or three to the vet.  Within the last two years, going from most
recent to least, there are ones by Karen Purcell, by James Fox, and by
Kathy Quesenberry and Liz Hillyer.  (I suspect the UK one will mention
other vaccine names since names, availability, and the like can vary from
country to country.)

Still not a vet, but... Noticed the post that P&G is using corn now as a
major ingredient.  Please, turn to the nutrition chapter in Fox's more
recent edition of his vet text and read the section mentioned a few days
ago on how corn as a large dietary factor can alter the pH of urine,
leading to bladder stones.  (Hey, she reads...)

BTW, although asthma in ferrets is rare (though it can happen, and the late
Ruffle had it among others) there's some new work out from U. VA on lung
pH and asthma attacks which will likely be followed up since it may
startlingly alter the treatment possibilities in the future.  (Hey, she
reads even more...)

When there is a questionable growth and investigative surgery might not be
the best immediate option: don't forget that for some things (quite a few)
ultrasound tests can be one of the best tools at your disposal.  Blood
tests can also help narrow down some possibilities, and a urinalysis in
addition can be very useful.  Been there... (Hey, she even has life
experiences... So, everybody know that I'm not a vet now?  ;-) )  (See that
as a closing parentheses or as my ancient double chin.)

Getting meds in: if you can not find a compounding pharmacy locally check
with the following.  I KNOW that the first was shipping to zoos just a
couple of years ago, and the others may ship: Belvidere 1-800-861-0933 in
N. Plainfield, N.J.  (or 1-908-756-6695 if local); Prescription Spec.
1-800-861-0933 in Chesire, CT; and Med Shoppe 1-973-235-0909 in Nutley,
N.J.  (BTW, we've also had good luck with tutti-fruiti flavor though
Metronidizole just plain seems to cause foaming and one of it's normal
things to do.  There also are some types of very narrow pill guns but we
usually avoid those when we can get stuff in another way.  When sugar isn't
a problem -- not something for one with insulinoma -- we have found that
some pills crushed and mixed in Nutrical go in easily (ditto many treats
though you do not want to try with a laxative since then the med may pass
too rapidly).  Ask your vet and pharmacist about the options.  When the med
is a very new one check with the researchers who developed it since some
need protection from saliva (for which we have used oily things when they
must be crushed); we've found such people to be very happy to help us.
When the med is NOT a very new one then all such information should be in
the general pharmacological references.

WHEW!