From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:36:08 -0400
*FYI* After writing to Dr Jerry Murray last night, I feel relieved.  He
said that most ferrets that have a high blood glucose right after surgery
will come down to normal in 7-14 days.  The rest of the pancreas will
start making insulin soon, and the glucose will start to normalize soon.
I would keep him on a slow drip IV fluid (LRS, NACL, or NORMOSOL) without
dextrose for a few days to prevent dehydration as he normalizes.  If his
glucose stays elevated passed 2 weeks then I would start him on PZI
insulin (1 unit bid).

PLEASE KEEP THIS INFORMATION SOMEWHERE, as you never know when YOU WILL
NEED IT for your ferret.

I dropped off the info at my vet's office with a tech (today is my usual
vets surgery day)  The tech said that Wolf was ok, eating a little, well
hydrated and his bg came down a little.  He will be staying for another
day and my vet will call to update me later today/tonight.  I hope I can
visit with him tonight if he is not on a drip, etc.

Thank you everyone who has given me their experiences as well as advice.

God bless you all.

Eleanor, Donald and the 8 fuzzies