From:
Charlie Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 1994 13:25:56 -0500
Hi folks,

   I'd just like to introduce the newest member of our ferret family.
We just bought a 7-month-old female on Friday.  We named her
'Saskia' after a character in the foreign version of the film
'The Vanishing'.  She looks to be in pretty good health, good coat,
teeth, eyes, etc.

   One thing.. she's BIG for a female (or at least in comparison to
our other female Jazmine).  The last time Jazmine was weighed at the
vet, she was just over 2 lbs.  We haven't weighed Saskia, but if
Jazmine still weighs 2 lbs, then Saskia must weigh 3.  This is
contrary to what I've heard about ferrets who were prematurely
neutered.  According to her papers, she was neutered at 6 weeks. :(
Poor thing.  She was being sold by someone who could no longer keep
her, and put her in the classified ads where we saw her.

    She was a little nippy at first, and still tends to attack the odd
foot (when wearing a sock).  By and large, the introduction of the
ferrets to each other was pretty smooth.  We let them sniff each other
through the cage bars etc. and introduced them slowly.  Luckily,
Saskia came with her own cage, so we can separate the two.  They've
been running around playing and have been very entertaining! :)
They do scrap from time to time, however.  From reading this list,
it seems this is pretty normal.  They don't draw blood, and don't
viciously bite one another's necks / ears too often, so I'm taking
it as a sign of the normal struggle for dominance.  They've even
napped together a few times, although I don't think I'd cage them
together overnight or while we weren't there.  At least not for a
little while.  They both really like playing together in
the bathtub though!  It's their favorite spot other than a cardboard
box with holes they chase each other in and out of.

   Oh well, I've rambled enough.  Just thought I'd share the good
news!

Charlie & Jill (with ferrets Jazmine & Saskia)