From:
Jennifer Hoh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 1996 00:54:49 -0400
I came home at 9:30 tonight to find my 5yr old hob George pawing at his
mouth and very lethargic.  Thanks to the experience I have had reading the
FML, I immedately called my vet, and convinced her to see him tonight.  By
11pm he was in surgery for a blockage.  I am so grateful that I took him in
right away instead of waiting to see if he was better in the morning.  His
temperature was down to 94 and his heartrate was only 150--much lower than
ferret normal.

I'm happy to report that Dr. Schiller just called me (It's 12:45) and
Georgie is waking up from the aenesthesia.  The cause of the problem--a
Cherry Pit!  I have no idea where he got it.  I have not had cherries in
over a year.  He must have had it in a hidden stash somewhere.  Tomorrow I
will give the place a VERY thourough cleaning!

Anyway, all is not completely well, as he is having a few complications, but
at least he is at the vets where he has a chance.  If I had gone to bed, I
am quite sure I would have awakened to find him gone.

Please keep him in your thoughts--I could not bear to loose him.  Both
Schnitzel and Detinue have been very supportive tonight--ferret kisses to
wash away the tears.  In any case, I am grateful to those who have posted
the stories about their own bouts with a blockage--I might not have
recognized the symptoms otherwise.

Thank You All!

Jen