From:
Shari Diane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:31:30 -0500
From a Christmas '95 FML post....Shari
+++++
                   Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
                      Christmas with your Ferret!

This FAQ as been created by someone (me) who was wondering about the danger
of Christmas with your ferret(s).  This is version 0.1 and it was created by
compiling together all the message I got after I asked the question about it
on the FML.  I want to thanks everybody who replied so far (I cannot name
them, as I forgot to ask their permission to use their names!) and I want to
welcome you to send more comments, add-on, experiences, etc to my address:

Starting with the Chrismas tree, from the base to the top:

Gifts: Forget it.  Tons of report about the fact that ferrets do not respect
the "Do not open before Christmas" sign.  Take gifts out 20 minutes before
opening.  Or stack them on a table, away from reach.

Manger scene: A few report of missing sheeps / lamb figures.  But nothing
major reported.  I guess most of you use ferret proof figures.

Electric trains: A couple of good story.  Worst case, the train was late!

Tree skirts: Should be made of heavy material.  Some digging reports.  Lots
of digging under.  Good place to sleep.

Stand:  A couple of falling tree reported. Get a good stand!.

Water: If you use a natural tree, do not add any additive to the water if
you cannot ferret proof the base.  Ferrets WILL find the water and drink
some.  In fact, if you let them drink (no problems reported if you don't use
additives) then watch carefully as you may have to fill the container more
often!

Tree: No major problems reported, even with natural trees.  Remove sap or
pine pitch stuck to their fur with vegetable oil.  It does seem to be a good
place to sleep as well.  (I want more stuff on this section!  Anybody got a
furball that like chewing them?  Damage report?).  BTW: Got two reports of
ferrets trying to drag the tree away!

Climbing: Some odd reports of ferret climing almost all the way to the top.
Most reports will give them 2-3 feet max.  Some will not climb, but stretch
and get whatever they can from the ground.

Ornaments: (See Climbing).  Avoid any breakable ornaments on the bottom 2-3
feet.  Avoid the wire hooks (couple of bad reports).  Smaller objects have a
tendency to end-up under the couch.  They love and destroy the "unbreakable"
satin wrapped styro balls (Darn, what else can we use?)

Candy canes: They don't finish them, and you'll find them stuck to your
carpet!  For now, let say we should avoid chocolate until we have consensus
on the FML about it!

Electrical wiring: Absolutely no bad reports!  I guess there's so much to do
with that tree that chewing is not fun enough.  Using a ground fault plug
may still be a good idea.

Bulbs/lights: LOTS of reports of ferrets trying to chew/bite them.  More fun
when they are on or blinking.  No breaking reported, but it seems to a
common thing... Sorry, but I would leave the lower 3 feet of your tree in
the dark!

Tinsel/garlands: Reports of some "Flashy" poop found in the litter box.
Cannot be good for the stomach!  I would avoid tinsel.  Some people
suggested alternative, but I'll let you use your imagination (I got the
usual "popcorn" garland... Sorry, but my ferret would eat this all the way
to the top!)

O.K.  Now we will leave that poor tree alone and talk about the other
problems you may encounter shortly!

Holiday plants: A lot of them are poisionous!  Add to this all the digging.
Basically, avoid them!

Stockings: Don't forget your ferret.  It's not what you put inside that is
important... It's the fact that it's a good place to have a nap in, once it
is empty!

Fireplace: Pretty obvious, but visitors may leave it open for your pet to
visit.

Guests: Sorry, but you should lock them up during your parties (the ferrets,
not the guest).  Enough bad reports to justify it.  Biting, chewing personal
items, stealing, being sat on, step on, kick around.  You get the draft.
They may not be able to sleep in your size 6 shoe, but your visitor may not
like finding a sleeping ferret in is oversize skidoo boots!

Ornaments: If you have really nice ones then you may want to hang them on
things like chandeliers.  They still look good, and they'll be safe!

Casualty reports:  Stuck turkey bones in the throat. (Two reports)