From:
Vicki Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:40:19 -0700
Hi all;

I just wanted to say that I looked at the Ohio Ferret's shelter list and
no offense to these guys - I have the utmost respect for them and refer
people to their site all the time for good ferret keeping info - BUT
their Texas shelters are not up to date.  Tricks and Treats is not on
there nor is Ferret Waystation in Austin and there are at least 8 rescues
that are listed that are no longer in operation.  This may be true for
other states as well.

My point here is not 'shame on' anyone, but rather before you start out
please contact the rescues that are listed that you think may be along
your route and ask if they are still rescuing or if they know who is.
This could prevent extra stress if you should need ferrety assistance.
I have contacted people at Ohio Ferret before for answers and have found
them to be above and beyond kind and helpful so if I was going through
that state they would be who I would contact with questions.

I have traveled with ferrets going from Texas to Michigan -17 hour drive
- 5 times, and from Houston to San Antonio - 4 hour drive - 2 times.  I
have found my ferrets travel very well.  They don't seem to experience
any stress or upset, in fact ferrets love adventure and since they were
with me they had no reason to fear the unknown.  I provide food and water
bowls on a floor board on paper, small litter boxes, and beds in which
to curl up.  On the trips to and from San Antonio I had cages in the back
of my minivan with hammocks, but since they were laid on their sides the
sides developed a gap and of course the ferrets found their way out.
They then found their way into the blankets that I had folded in the
back.  The only problem I have had traveling with ferrets is that they
still have to poop and they would go in whatever corner they found in the
van.  Sigh... oh well ... the carpet needed cleaning anyway.  The trips
to Michigan and back were done in a fully packed car.  The ferrets still
had room to walk around and explore and also find a comfy place to curl
up.  They visited me in front only a couple of times and preferred the
back.  Both my van and my car did not have access up into my dash from
the floors, my brake pedel does not go to the floor, so I did not worry
about loosing a ferret into the dash or the engine compartment or
crushing one under the pedals.  Not all vehicle's dashboards are sealed
that way so free roam in a car depends on the drivers comfort with that
and the safety of where can they get into that might injure them or the
vehicle.  But you know that... it's common sense...

Best of luck on you and your fuzzies trip - hope all goes well.

Vicki

Vicki Montgomery
Tricks and Treats Rescue
Greater Houston/Galveston Texas
713-472-6599
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]
"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things,
man will not himself find peace." ~ Dr. Albert Schweitzer