From:
"Diana C. Ashby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 11:32:04 -0500
Barbar wrote:
>I would like to know why it is so bad to house your babies in a glass
>cage.......................I mention all of this because one of my fuzzy
>guys doesn't like living with the other two so I gave him this new home.

hi Barbar - I'm new to the list, didn't receive a welcome or anything, but
thought I'd chime right in my two cents here.  My new ferret, Barney is
litter box training, so I have a large multi-level wire cage for him when
I'm not around.  I run my business from my house, so he's not in it but
maybe during the night when we sleep.  A lot of ferret owners feel it
necessary to cage their kids, this, unfortunately, is something pet shops
and many magazines/books promote, but it actually is quite easy to let them
run loose just like other domestic animals.  It sounds as if you have gone
to a great expense to ensure yours comfort.  Is there absolutely no way they
will accept this one ferret?  My last two ferrets, who departed a few years
back, were not caged after I successfully litter boxed trained them (OK,
except for a few accidents), so maybe someday they will be able to make this
adjustment.

Regarding glass, I would think that might be a more unsanitary environment
and since ferrets are curious, they like to look out, poke their noses
through the wires, glass might be to confining.  I would also worry about
the ventilation, as ferrets do not have the same sweat glands, so after a
play, they might get to hot and the glass wouldn't provide enough air for
them to breathe.  Also, his being alone, looking out, not being able to at
least touch noses with the others will continue to make him an outcast - the
other ferrets will never get used to him,his smell and touch him.  You sound
like a very caring ferret owner, so I don't think anyone should get mad at
you, maybe just tell you there thoughts on why a wire one would be better,
if you are going to cage them.  It sounds far better than some of the tiny
wire cages or small aquariums I've seen ferrets put in - I wonder if those
people would like being put in a small closet.  You also give them a room,
so that is nice as well.  I still have to say, however, that I don't think
the lone guy should be in a glass house - and he will probably never be part
of the gang if kept in one.  When I have a dilemma such as this, I ask
myself if I were the ferret, what would I prefer, to be surrounded by solid
glass or a wire with many openings.  Barbar, I know you mean well and I hope
people do not think you are terrible, because I can tell that you truly do
care about your babies.

I think a few of the more disturbing things I've read on the list go a few
weeks back.  One owner wrote in that his ferret and cat got in a fight and
the cat did a lot of damage to the ferret.  I honestly do not understand why
this incident happened, surely there had to be some warning that these two
were not "buddies." My dog and ferret seem to get along, the key word being
"seem," but I would never leave them unsupervised because it would be like
me playing with an elephant.  I think if you are going to be away and have
ANY suspicion that one might hurt another, then you should separate them
during your sleep hours or when you're away.

Another few posts regarding ferrets getting out the door and being lost
really bother me.  This, I am truly sorry, I can not appreciate.  We all
know that they love to escape and the nightmare of knowing what may happen
to them out there is enough to watch every door opening and make sure when
it does open the ferret is not around.  Yes accidents happen, but like I
said, I had two for twelve years, my husband is a pilot in the Navy, so we
travelled extensively, moved everywhere, entertained many visiting friends,
but I never lost one to the outside.  I think you just have to be more
careful and never take it for granted that they won't run out the door at
moment's notice.  I am very sorry to hear of these happenings because I feel
they could have been prevented.

My thoughts,
diana, mother of the Barn Boy