From:
diane killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:42:12 -0500
>From:    Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Modern Ferret Reality Check Needed?
>
>I have to agree with Lisette on the Modern Ferret issue.  I always find
>it strange that when things get rough for them they have no backups,
>nothing in place to cover for them, and don't seem to think they need to
>have such things.  Either they do the whole thing or nothing happens.
>Given the extreme popularity of Modern Ferret, it's REALLY hard for me
>to believe that they couldn't get any volunteers or interns to help with
>production if they made the effort to seek out help.  If they want to
>run a business, they HAVE to do these things.  This is not the first
>time production has just sort of stopped.

You have no idea whatsoever what it takes to produce a magazine.  You can
not produce a magazine by just turning it over to interns.  Certainly
not one of the high production caliber of Modern Ferret.

We are in regular contact with the Sheffermans as we have, over the
years, become friends.  Both of us have written articles for the magazine
as well as provided moral support for both of the Sheffermans while they
try to survive these very troubled times for them.

>Consider: They expect subscription money on time.  They don't send a
>magazine if people don't pay.  They wouldn't send me a magazine if I
>promised that payment would, eventually, arrive at some later date.
>Why should it always be so acceptable that they cash our checks and then
>don't deliver the product until they get around to putting it together??

We would far prefer to have to wait until they are able to produce a new
issue as opposed to them 'closing up shop'.  If that were to happen we'd
all lose out on a wonderful magazine.  Additionally, if they had to call
it quits, the subscription fees would be lost as well.

>I don't blame people for feeling cheated.  I always bristle a little bit
>when I read posts that suggest that Modern Ferret should always be above
>reproach no matter how late the issues or if there is no explanation,
>because "it's Mary and Eric and they have problems".

I am not infringing on your right to voice your opinion about Modern
Ferret, however, knowing that this magazine is run and produced by only
two people changes the perspective of the entire situation.  This is
essentially a family run business (a very small family) and lately they
have run into some major obstacles which have help up the production of
the magazine.  If you prefer glassy shiny magazines with poor content
and a regular publishing schedule then by all means, subscribe to Ferrets
from Fancy publications.  We prefer a magazine from people that actually
care about the topic.

>As much as I have admired the Sheffermans, they are not our friends
>necessarily; they are a business that sold people something and have
>not delivered it or been in contact.

They HAVE been in contact.  You have just not been listening.

>A lot of people sent them $27 and have nothing to show for it.  That's
>bad business no matter who you are.  Worse to never get in touch..., and
>a stern reminder that they are "only two people", as though THEIR choice
>not to have a staff or any backup help means that their customers have
>no right to expect prompt service or at least some communication!

It is NOT their CHOICE to have no staff.  I am sorry you have so
little understanding of start up companies.

>I personally, as well as many other people that I know, have submitted
>articles to Modern Ferret numerous times, but it seems like only Mary
>and a few select ferret people are allowed to write for Modern Ferret.

Perhaps you need to step back and realize that unaccepted articles might
not be up to the standards of Modern Ferret.  It is not a matter of
friendship but a matter of editorial selection based on quality.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Yahoo!!!  and Modern Ferret
>
>Modern Ferret: I opened up e-mail and found 4 rote letters.  After not
>receiving a magazine when due for 4 months, I then patiently wrote for 3
>more months-all the while still not receiving a magazine, and just got 4
>automated responses that had nothing to do with my questions concerning
>the magazine subscription, which should have been easily looked up on
>computer..

You have complained about your own personal problems but you don't seem
very tolerant of those that are experiencing far more serious problems.

>I have a fever of almost 100, and have sweat trickling down my face as
>I write this, with that burning up feeling in my face.

Again you mention your own problems, however, this is insignificant in
light of what the Shefferman's are going through.  I know first hand what
Eric is going through.  I'm afraid that you couldn't begin to imagine it.

If you do not like the way the Sheffermans have been trying desperately
to honor their commitments instead of just pulling the plug on the
magazine, that is indeed your perogative.

If Modern Ferret shuts down then you will not receive any refund.  We
have subscribed to magazines that closed before.  Then they were
re-opened under new management (even the same people but as a new
business) and all subscribers to the "old" magazine were out of luck.
We lost our subscription.

Mary and Eric though have stated that they intend to honor their
subscriptions and send out the magazines paid for.  That is integrity
beyond the norm.

>I am sorry that I can't feel differently about this.  I truly, truly am.
>There are a number of people who know these guys.  It is probably much
>different for you.

It is different for us.  We are more understanding and tolerant of the
situation they find themselves in and are hopeful things will turn
around quickly so they can get back to doing what they love doing --
Producing Modern Ferret Magazine.

--
bill & diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets