From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 22:06:24 EDT
>so in my opion the best course of action is to yes change the
>shelters... but...

Hello all ~

I don't like to get into some of these emotional discussions...and you
are NOT going to like what I'm saying.  But, a lot of what was posted
about local Humane Societies is right.  Very few of the employees really
care, and some are volunteers.  I'm not sure we should all descend on the
shelters, because many of them are good, clean, caring places.  Look who
is on the FML and how much they care.

I'm afraid we'd have to go for changing the legalities.  So get your
information/evidence together and begin an intelligent dialogue with your
state and local representatives.  Animals are becoming more of a "cause".
You might decide to begin a local bill in Jen Morrison's state...then a
representative has something to work with.  Also we might need to tack
onto the bill a change in ferret's classification away from exotics.
Going the legal route is not a popular one and it takes time, but in the
long run it may be the best.

One of the best things that can be accomplished is for shelters to get
together and draft a regulatory statement for shelters (limiting #'s;
cleanliness rules, etc), and present it to Congresspersons.  If shelters
are willing to go into self regulation then nobody else has to do it.
Plus shelter people are the best prepared to do this.  It is in the
enforcement that you will have problems.  That's a whole different
matter.

Warmly ~
Mary
Herbalist