From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:18:02 -0500
I had hoped that Kris's post was a one-shot deal but was followed up
yesterday with even more blatant ignorance as well as some comments that
are pretty rude:

Kris wrote:
>Why is it different for Kim?  Maybe because it appears that from what I
>have seen, she is usually the one asking for *help* when a new ferret
>arrives.  That's why.  Kim should know that in her area, the
>risk of ADV is higher than in other areas.

There is nothing "different" about Kim - ALL shelters face this!  This
strengthens my suspicion that you know nothing about ferret shelters,
since you seem to think Kim is such an isolated case when this is NORMAL,
this is the REALITY of sheltering!!  Take the time to read through the
FML archives.  You will find many, MANY posts from ferret shelters all
across the US (and beyond) who have posted looking for help when their
number of ferrets outweighed their funds.  And obviously Kim knows ADV
is a risk in her area...she's QUARANTINING and TESTING.  Did you not read
that part??

You seem to think shelter folks can look into the future and know exactly
what the shelter's needs will be...on what exactly are they supposed to
base this??  Sheltering is a guessing game.  It is not a business where
you can "project" next year's surrenders based on the ones that happened
this year.  It's always different.  A shelter might get one ferret in
next month, or they may get 19.  They might get all healthy, young
adoptable ferrets...or they might get mostly sick ferrets whose owners
couldn't be bothered to spend the money to care for them.  How are they
supposed to be prepared no matter what happens?  What sort of non-profit
rescue businesses are you familiar with that are prepared for ANY
circumstance, ANY eventuality??  Even the ASPCA is constantly asking for
donations to cover shortfalls and the high cost of caring for abandoned
animals.  Why would you hold private individuals, struggling to do this
on their own, to a much higher standard??

>What would happen
>if 3 of Kim's shelter ferrets needed surgery?  Or something happened that
>she needed immediate attention?  If she can't afford that, then she
>shouldn't be in the business.  IMHO

This happens ALL THE TIME.  People aren't supposed to shelter until they
have a ton of money saved up?  If that were the case, there wouldn't BE
any shelters.  Shelters are run by people who will do what other people
won't.  They take in ferrets when other people are going to DUMP them.
Do you not get it that if Kim hadn't taken that ferret, something awful
might have happened to it??  WHY are you making these totally inaccurate
assessments of sheltering??  Kim's doing all she can to both rescue this
ferret AND address the ADV threat.  I applaud her efforts.  Because of
her work a little ferret is going from a situation where she was in
jeopardy to a loving home.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that
is a GOOD thing!!

>A shelter should expect high vet bills and the associated costs for
>sheltering..a plan (other than asking on a regular basis) should be in
>place for when that happens.  I have a friend that has credit card for
>her shelter.  She also has a plan with her vet for allowing her to make
>payments if the need arises so that the ferret isn't waiting for her to
>have $$ to be treated.

That sounds very nice.  Not many shelters would be eligible to get a
credit card just for the shelter.  Not all vets allow payments.  Some
hospitals want 1/2 the fee up front, no exceptions.  Some shelters are
in areas where there is only ONE ferret vet and they have to play by the
vet's rules.  Your friend's arrangements are not necessarily something
"anyone" could have.

Plenty of shelters ask for donations on a regular basis.  Kim happens to
ask on the FML...so do a lot of others.  And just to further clarify, she
was asking people to purchase her stuff, not just throw money at her.
When I buy hammocks, toys, and just about anything else for my ferrets, I
buy from a rescue or shelter.  I get what I need, and they get money to
help ferrets.  It's always seemed to me like a pretty good trade-off.
Despite your crabbing, most shelters find this helps keep them viable.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it's just another part of
the hard work shelter folks do to save lives.

>What will she do with the ferret that can't wait for the funds to be
>raised in order to have medical care?

She'll probably take it in and do the most that she can for it, which is
what shelters - all kinds - do even when funds are low.  Unless you'd
prefer that the next sick ferret was just dumped in the street instead of
brought to a ferret shelter.  Who do you think will rescue these ferrets?
Sometimes a shelter who can't afford immediate surgery is still a much
better option than the ferret being placed in a dumpster still in its
cage (yes that happens ALL THE TIME) or just being let go in the street.

You really seem to feel that Kim should shut down since she is not
prepared up to your standard of what a shelter mom should be prepared
for, and I wonder if you know Kim and don't like her for some reason?
Your post has a definite personal grudge kind of tone to it.

OK, so half to three-quarters of the shelters in the US need to stop
sheltering because they don't have a nest egg or huge fund to cover an
unlimited amount of ferrets and are not prepared for "any" emergency that
comes along, is what you seem to be saying.  So then Kris, please
enlighten me - where do all the ferrets go then??

Heather W.
Getting disgusted in Massachusetts