From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:11:39 +0800
>From:    Rudik Elaine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kit and Caboodle Ferretry
>
>It is great to read about all the wonderful things that Mr. and Mrs. Cole
>are doing in the short time that they have been involved with ferrets.

Like what?  Have they donated a large amount to the ADV fund?  To adrenal
research?  To other research funds?  Held education days on ferrets?  Or
just bought out a very large ferretry?  Rumor is they are buying out
another very large breeder!

>It is reported that they currently have over 400 ferrets and plan to
>continue to buy quality ferrets and, perhaps, become the premier breeder
>of ferrets in the US.

WHAT?!?!?!?!  Am I the only one concerned about this?  I know I can't be!
As stated above (and from what I have heard) they are NEW to ferrets?
Since when is it ok for people new to ferrets to go and buy over 400
ferrets (and planning on buying more) when they are new and have limited
knowledge (at least hands on - and I am sorry guys, but one year or so of
ownership is by no means enough experience to start breeding)???

Lets do the math ... 400 ferrets.  Lets say 3/4 or those are jills (the is
probable) and 1/4 are hobs.  That is 300 pregnant jills capable of having
6 - 10 kits per litter.  So that means that is 1,800 - 3,000 kits per year -
after one breeding!  Where is the truth in the statement on their site
saying "Kits are well socialized and raised in the home with lots of love
and kisses." I can't see 1,800 kits being hand raised in the house.

>Currently, they are extremely competetive at all ferret shows accross the
>nation and will only continue to get better.

Competitive by entering 30 - 40 ferrets per show and sponsoring half of the
rings?  By asking for specific show rings for colors that don't exist -
unless you count oil stained coats?  If they are entering that many
ferrets - how many are they not entering?  And why are they using trophies
and ribbons to promote their ferrets on their website.  Ferrets that don't
even have names listed.

>From:    Dee Gage <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Two Pole Pumpkin Ferret Tree
>
>They attended GLFA's FerretQuest 2000 in June.  They appeared out of
>nowhere.

Out of nowhere?  How much experience do these people have?  Should they
be breeding?  Didn't this list JUST have a big brouhaha about backyard
breeders, mill breeders, and hobby breeders?  And this is OK?  I just don't
understand ...

>I remember everyone buzzing with the rumor of a couple from Tennessee
>traveling to the show with 30 ferrets.

30 ferrets at one show is a lot.  It is hard enough handling three let
alone 30!

And all these ferrets they are getting - have they all been ADV tested?
Are they ECE positive or negative?  Do they know?  Do they know what ADV or
ECE is?  Do they care?

>They blew everyone away!!!

I bet they blew minds . . .

>They are a wonderful addition to the ferret community in my estimation.

How?  By producing a multitude of ferrets when shelters can't even keep up
with turn-ins?  If they have so much money - why not not start a shelter?
By sponsering show rings instead of contributing to the ADV fund or other
research to help ferrets?

>FYI, they have a website:  www.kitandcaboodleferretry.com
>You can e-mail them at [log in to unmask]

This site has been known to me by sometime.  It has not changed since the
early rumors of the buy-out.  I had sent them an e-mail (a very nice one
just asking general questions) as did another person I know that lives in
their area.  No response to this day.  If these people are so nice - why
don't they return e-mails?

Condfused and Concerned Ferret Lover