From:
Kerry and Jeremy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 21:19:28 -0400
Our newest fuzzie, our baby 3 month ole Doc has become very ill, but
confusingly so.  Yesterday afternoon he started vomiting but had no
diarrhea... we waited it out becuase he was as energetic and happy as
usual.  Today he vomited all day and could not keep anything down.  We
rushed him to the vet where she performed x-rays and felt something in his
belly.  All of us including her were virtually convinced that the problem
at hand was an obstruction.

She recently called us with the results, he has very enlarged lymph nodes
and an inflammed bowel.  She is hoping it is a bowel infection but said we
must prepare ourselves that it is juvenile lymphoma.  She has her doubts
that it is though because she has never heard of a ferret so young having
cancer.

We are obviously very worried and will not have the results until Friday if
then.  (on the biopsy of his bowels and lymph nodes)

We have never heard of a ferret so young having cancer...has anyone else had
experience with this?

We are nonetheless devestated.  Advice would be enormously appreciated.  He
is vomiting, has no fever or diarrhea!

I would also like to warn other ferret owners in Canada and in the States
(where they are imported to) on the breeder Great Canadian Ferrets of
MAnitoba Canada.  Oor Doc is from their and well you know how he is doing...

All the ferrets I have met who were bred there are large and of unusual
colouring... BUT are skittish very bity, scared of hands and not trusting of
humans...rather run and hide then play...whereas our Hagen ferrets, average
size, sables were not bity or skittish and very curious and not very scared
of anything...I thought it was a mere coincidence but beleive now it is not.

I have heard of this breeders ferrets having anal glands and ovaries
remaining in them...

This is just my opinion BUT thought ferret owners looking for babies should
know.

Please place Doc in your prayers today...

Thanks

Kerry
and the lonely trio Willow, Fozzie and Scout :(