From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:03:09 -0700
>From:    Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question about fur
{and}
>From:    Kathleen Hourihan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hair not growing back

>How long is a reasonable time to expect all her fur to return?

Up to one coat change time.  Usually every spring and fall the coats change.
There may not be new growth until then.

>From:    The Ferretously Funky One <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Wanted: collapsible cage, two ferrets in NC
>Does anyone know where I can mail-order an inexpensive, 3-story, collapsible
>cage?

MidWest Cages ferret playpens.  Cheapest price we've found was Dog
Outfitters which is in PA.  We take them to ferret shows with shelter
ferrets or kits.  LOTS of shelter ferrets up in the DC area at this time but
that isn't really NC.

>From:    Laura Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: blaze and panda ferrets
>Just a quick question--what do blaze and panda ferrets look like in color
>and markings?  I'm just curious because I have never seen any before.

A panda can be any color but with a white head and no mask.  They will have
white mitts.  Other white markings often include white kneecaps, often a
white tail tip and other white areas on the belly.

A blaze is exactly the same but with a white stripe on the top of the head
instead of a fully white head.  Other names for this pattern are shetland
and badger.

Check out <http://www.ferret.org/afacolors.htm> for a good web site where
the American Ferret Association has rather high quality pictures of most
colors and patterns.  While I've mentioned the AFA website, Sally Heber
(President) has asked me to build a links page for the AFA site.  If anyone
would like a link from the AFA site please send me email.  Ferret Central
will definitely be linked so I don't need that one.

>From:    Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: sick ferret gnashing
>I read something about this a while ago but I can't remember...what does it
>mean when your ferret is sick and he/she gnashes his teeth?

Upset tummy usually.  Gnashing is a pain response.  Dr. Kawasaki usually
prescribes 1/2 cc of Pepto Bismol if I remember.  Let a vet tell you the
proper dosage.

>From:    Christian Meisch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Treats
>I just read that Raisins and other fruit (Plums,pineapple, etc.) are not
>good and should be avoided.

Remember "treat", not supplement.  Ferrets won't get much nutrition out of
fruits but given very small amounts as treats won't really hurt them.  How
many people forgo all food treats?  But remember people weigh usually over a
hundred pounds while ferrets weigh usually from one to six.  Their treat
portion of the diet should be in proportion to that size.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets