From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:50:26 -0400
Hi guys!

First the yucky part:

SEEDY STOOLS
Ah ha.  So I'm not the only one.  Paleface has been battling seedy stools
for some time now.  If anyone receives a response to this problem, please
post it on the FML and/or send it to me privately.

THE VALLEY FERRET CONNECTION
Now I have for you a story of inspiration and success!  As I have mentioned
in the past, I am a resident of the Pittsburgh, PA area.  I've always been
envious of the folks with an active, local ferret club, and I had been
considering starting one.  Unfortunately, the idea has not met with a lot of
interest or success.  We Pittsburghers are sorta spread out, and we seem to
be a very busy lot.  So, I just let the idea sit on the back burner for a
while.

Background, part two.  The local petstore (Beaver Valley Mall) is a major
source for ferrets in my area.  Unfortunately they are extremely
unresponsive and rude when offered information or help.  I've tried in the
past to offer them the Mini-FAQ with no luck.  Well, this past weekend, I
stopped by, and sure enough they had a bunch of new babies ($160 no less!).
In the cage, they had- EEGADS -a rubber ball.  I mentioned to the girl at
the desk that they might want to remove the rubber toy and replace it with a
safer toy.  "We watch them," she said.  "Besides I give my ferrets rubber
toys all of the time." "Yea," another salesgirl chimed in.  "The hard rubber
is more dangerous anyway.  Latex is o.k.  It stretches" I could have
screamed there and then.  Loud.  The more I tried to convince them, the
ruder they got.  I lost this battle.

THE IMPORTANT PART!
But, (the point of the story) I was inspired.  I knew that I had to get
information out there some how.  The club idea didn't seem to be catching
on.  But, I am a "Ferret Contact" on Pam's wonderful STAR Ferret Resource
List (Thanks, Pam).  Why not develop that role/idea!?  I have printed up
flyers for "The Valley Ferret Connection." I'm going to post them wherever I
can, pet stores, vet's offices, grocery stores, etc.  My goal is to act as a
"switchboard operator," hooking up people with information.  I hope to
assist people with educating themselves as ferret owners by pointing them to
computer resources, books, other people, good vets, ferret shelters.
Hopefully I can answer basic care questions, and, of course, refer people to
"experts" for more difficult issues (e.g.  veternary care).  I am so
excited!  In time, if the interest develops, maybe this idea will blossom
into a club or even a shelter or both.  I am keeping a notebook now of all
of the "Connection's" activities so that I can keep up with it all.

And so far, I am happy to say I feel so successful!  The other evening, I
received a call from a very sweet lady who had to place her two ferrets (you
may recall my post about Squid and Lady).  Jessica, another FML'r, responded
to my plea, and she is now mom to two new ferret babies!  Hooray!  Thank you
to Jessica and to all of the other wonderful people who were willing to take
in those two.  People responded from as far away as Indianiapolis!  Wow!
Michelle Matta and I helped to hook up another homeless baby with another
Pittsburgh couple looking "to adopt." Todd's ferret "He-Man" (now NOSMO) has
a new home with Diane and Mark!  Hooray!  Finally, I am very close to
finding a new home for Bumper, a 7 mo.  old, unneutered male.  His owner,
Ken, has to go to California in May and needs to find Bumper a home before
then.  Angela, another FML'r, would like to take him in.  Here's hoping it
all works out.  If anybody's interested, you may want to e-mail Ken (just in
case he needs a backup!).  His e-mail is <[log in to unmask]>.  Talk
about feeling good- three (almost four) ferrets placed in one week!

Well, I've talked your collective ears off enough for now.  I just really
wanted to share this idea.  It is simple, but can be so effective.  If you'd
like to help ferret owners in your area, this is a great way to do so.  You
don't need to spend alot of money;  time (and a notebook) are all that you
need.  We are so fortunate to have the FML and all of the other wonderful
internet resources;  it's great to be able to share this knowledge.

Thanks for listening,

Gina
and
Paleface