From:
Heather Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:06:09 -0800
Amen to that Roary.  I got my ferts from Petco and they were well cared
for, happy kids.  And the fert I rescued also has a tattoo in her ear.
She's a well adjusted happy kid too.  The early spay neuter has been
researched in canines and felines, I don't know if it has been researched
in ferrets also or not, but in canine/felines it doesn't do any harm.
Only side effect is that they may end up slightly smaller than they
would have otherwise.  And it prevents more unnecessary breeding and
overpopulation.  Plus ferrets who are not neutered can become aggressive,
and ferrets who are not spayed will become anemic unless they are bred.
I'd MUCH rather have my fert already spayed or neutered when I buy or
rescue him/her then having to do it myself, uncertian about the price and
the experience of my personal vet.  I doubt very many vets have performed
that surgery on ferrets.  What if you couldn't afford it after you bought
the fert?  Would you want to deal with the aggression or the potential
death of your ferret because he/she wasn't already fixed when you got
him/her?  No, I don't have all the answers.  But I like the system the
way it is.  The ferts I've heard of who have ended up in rescues were
abandoned or neglected by their owners, not the stores that sold them.
Maybe we can petition the stores to come up with a way to make new owners
prove they'll take care of the pets.  That seems like a more viable
solution.

Heather ;o)
 & My Belgian Tervuren:
Ch. Aquila Faucon Crecerellette CGC TDI