From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:16:57 -0400
Things had been slow at the Bridge and No. 421 and Oliver were catching
up on their chores when Bluebird fluttered up and perched on the fence.

"Hi Oliver," Bluebird tweeted. "I has a ticket here you just might be
interested in. We have a cute little ferret girl named Wildfire
crossing. The Boss said for me to get you to welcome her to the Bridge.
She is very young, cute, loves to play, and really needs a "Big
Brother" to help her find family."

Oliver could hardly believe his ears. While he missed most of what
Bluebird said, he did hear cute, young, ferret girl, and Wildfire. "Uh
yeah Bluebird," Oliver said. "I would be your man for this one. I'll
get dressed and be ready in a few minutes."

Oliver took the ticket, dashed into the house nearly knocking No. 421
down and slid into the shower. In a matter of minutes, the door opened
and Oliver came out in a towel, with a handful of soggy clothes.

"Uh No. 421  -  uh could you put these outside for me, I uh forgot to
take them off before I showered," Oliver said. "I uh, was in kind of a
hurry." He handed No. 421 the soggy mess and dashed into his room. He
came out looking like something out of a magazine. He was wearing his
after-shave, even though he was to young to shave, and his best casual
suit.

"Hold on," No. 421 said. "I'm coming with you. Lets go up to the Bridge
and see if Wildfire is there."

Oliver was crestfallen; he wanted to be the one to greet Wildfire. They
were just passing the Field of Dreams when No. 421 told Oliver to see
if he could find Derek, Spirit, Symone, Cherokee, Cuddles or Mochie.
They lived over by the stream.

Oliver turned and jogged down the path. Albert and Sammy were playing
ball, and as Oliver passed, they shouted a big Hello.

"Hey fellers," Oliver said, "Anyone know where Derek, Spirit, Symone,
Cherokee, Cuddles or Mochie might be?"

"Oh yeah," Sammy said. "They went swimming at the brook. Just go over
to that hill and give a holler."

Oliver ran over the hill and there were several ferrets splashing in
the stream. When they saw Oliver they picked up their towels and began
to dress.

"Hi Oliver," Derek said. "What can we do for you? Boy, do you look
sharp. What is the occasion?"

"Hi Guys," Oliver said. "We have one of your family crossing, a little
gal named Wildfire, and I need to take someone from here to greet her."

"Wildfire, Wildfire is here," they all shouted at once. "Hey gang we
can get dressed as we run. Come on we don't want to be late."

The ferrets ran up the path and past Oliver. He hurried to catch up
with them, but he was worried he was getting dusty and sweaty and he
was not going to make a good impression on Wildfire.

No. 421 had just settled down in his chair where he heard the planks
of the bridge creak.

"Hello there," he called to a lone ferret. "Welcome to the Rainbow
Bridge, might you be Wildfire?"

"Hi," said a small voice. "Yes, I'm Wildfire, but where is my Mom"
where is my house, and how did I get here?"

"This is the Rainbow Bridge, and you came to us for an unknown reason"
No.421 said. "Usually someone is sick or elderly, but you were called
for a reason we do not know. The Boss does not tell us, He just said
to get your family and see you were greeted."

"I have family here," Wildfire said. "I did not know." And with that,
big silver tears ran down her face and fell around her feet. Blue

Forget-me-nots sprung up where each tear dropped. She is such a cute
little thing, No. 421 thought as he reached out his paw and took her
tiny little one. She jumped up on the chair beside him and settled
down.

"Now stop crying, and let me see you smile." No. 421 said. "I think I
hear my currier coming up the hill."

Derek, Spirit, Symone, Cherokee, Cuddles and Mochie came running over
the hill. Oliver was trying to keep up and brush the dust from his suit
at the same time.

"Hi Wildfire," Derek shouted. " You're here with us! We knew you were a
cutie, but boy are we are going to have to work hard to keep the other
fellers away." Wildfire dried her tears with the back of her paw, wiped
her nose on No. 421's shirt and hopped off the chair.

There were lots of hugs, and kisses and soon Wildfire was smiling
again. Oliver arrived, a little dusty and sweaty and introduced
himself. "Hello Wildfire," Oliver said. "My name is Oliver, and I am
here to greet you and escort you around."

"Thank you Oliver," Wildfire said. "I have so many family members I
need to get to know, I could not possible go around with you right now.
Maybe next month if I'm not to busy."

Cherokee spoke up and said their little sister would be "busy" for a
while, "Don't call us, we'll call you," Cherokee said.

Wildfire was so overwhelmed she started to cry again. "I want to tell
my Mommy I'm here," she said. "Shooting Star was in the background and
stepped forward.

"You just tell me what you want to say, and I'll have it delivered for
you," she said smiling sweetly.

"Tell Mommy I'm here, tell her I love her and I'll wait until she comes
for me. Tell her I miss her, and I am with her other family now."

Shooting Star smiled and told Wildfire she would see that Gentle Breeze
had the message to take out tonight.

Wildfire said thank you to No. 421, and standing on her tiptoes, she
brushed a sweet kiss on his cheek. No. 421 started to blush. She
thanked Oliver for finding her family, and while shaking his paw, she
inadvertently shook some dust off of his sleeve and started to sneeze.
"All that dust makes me sneeze," she said. "At home, I used to chase
Mom's vacuum cleaner to make sure it did not miss any dust. I can't
possible go anywhere with you all dusty and perfumy; that stuff makes
my eyes water." With that said, she rubbed her eyes, tipped her cute
little "button" nose up and sneezed.

The happy family left to go back the mound. The boys had built an extra
room in case someone needed a place to stay. Wildfire could have it
now. No. 421 and Oliver started back to the cabin. Oliver did not say
much, and No. 421 decided to keep quiet. Oliver was depressed, Wildfire
hardly noticed him. Back at the cabin, Oliver put his clothes in to be
washed, jumped into the shower, scrubbed himself clean, came out in his
towel and announced he was through with women. He went to his room for
more clothes. No. 421 put the kettle on for tea, took out some of
Bakin' Bertha's scones and wrote in his logbook, Mission accomplished.
Wildfire is with family, a message has been sent back to earth, and
Oliver is through with women. He let out a long deep sigh and closed
the book.