From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 23:42:09 -0800
This is the third time in the last three months that a sickness is
going back around my house.

I brought home Ralphie, the ferret we thought had distemper, and he
gave everyone a sickness. He had a bad respiratory infection, and after
a few days (everyone tells me too soon to have others affected. Well,
I don't know, I just say what happened). After three or four days,
everyone here was sneezing their brains out, runny noses.

Not just the ferrets. The cats as well.

Then after a few weeks, it went away. For about two weeks. The cats
got better, the ferrets better. Then, it came around AGAIN.

Ferrets and cats sneezing. This time, one of the cats got so bad, the
cat had to be force fed.

They got better.

Now, I have it going around - AGAIN. What is going on??? My vet INSISTS
that the ferrets cannot share illnesses with the cats, and yet, they
all sneeze and get sick at the same time, the dame day. Then it lasts
for the same amount of time, goes away for two weeks, and comes back.

It seems to affect the cats much more than the ferrets, although
Ralphie was very bad when he came in. It's been said I need to get rid
of this with Baytril, however, my vet won't prescribe anything because
he insists on waiting until animals actually have bacterial infections
before prescribing.

What can I do? Do I have to find another vet? I've had people email me
and let me know they used Baytril to get rid of it, over long periods
of time. But the vet just won't do it for me.

Laryssa