From:
Barbara Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 00:22:04 -0500
Hello everyone!  I have not been able to read the lists for a long time
now since Ive been really busy with work and college applications and
keeping my senior year grades up, but I finally found time to go through
the last few and have realized how much I miss the list!! :)  So, I'm
back!

This seems like almost perfect timing.  I just bought a ferret from a
woman who said she bought it for her 12 year old and he wouldnt take care
of him and she didnt have enough time to care for him.  He is a 1 y.o.
black sable mitt (SUPER CUTE).  He is going to be a handful, I can
already tell.  He is very sweet and playful but when he gets excited, he
bites.  I know ferrets chew when they get excited, and he doesnt break
skin, but it still hurts when he does it.  We have 2 other ferrets, but
neither of them have ever had biting issues (other than the occasional
nibble of the finger) so Im not sure how to go about training him.  He
stops when you say "NO!" but will resume within a couple of seconds....
Any advice?  Comments or anything would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sorry this was so long, I just want to get a headstart with training him
(this is our first day with him).  I think also some of his biting may
be nervous energy since today was a very stressful day for him and he is
not yet used to his new surroundings.  I think my female ferret (Hope,
2 1/2 y.o. silver point) will teach him a lesson about not biting (and
definitely wont let him push her around!!!) but they will not interact
for the first time until at least 2-3 weeks from now.  Her nor our first
boy (Kodi, 3 y.o. sable) has never had biting problems either.  Again,
sorry this was so long.  Thanks for reading, and any info would be
greatly appreciated.

~*~Barbara and the Terrible Two (plus one!) Kodi, Hope, (and our new boy
Otter (they had named him Weasel, but Otter seems more fitting....REALLY
long whiskers, dark fur, loves water -"Watch out cats water dish!  Here
I come!!!")~*~

P.S.  I hope my two and him get along!!!  **crosses fingers**