From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:25:19 -0400
First off, I'd like to say Thank You to all the people who sent information
and advice!  I just can't tell you how much it means to me to know that I
am not in this alone!  I am referring to all the responses I received in my
plea for help with the ferret awareness day I am hosting.  For those of
you that I haven't responded to yet, I will!!  I promise!  Just give me a
little time!!  I no longer feel I am alone in this!  I think things are
progressing well!  Today I got copies of the laws concerning ferrets in my
county!  I haven't had time to really sit and go through them, but they
look interesting!  I think these laws are something that new ferret owners
should be aware of!  There actually is so much that new and future owners
need to know!  Like I have said before-my goal is to educate as many people
as I can and hopefully the folks at the Pet Store will learn alot, too!  I
have a pretty big question: The store owner has basically said I can do
whatever I want.  Should I ask him NOT to have any babies there on that
day?  Or should I ask him to make sure he has some??  Right now, he buys MF
babies because he says those are the only babies he has access to.  He has
only been in the pet store business for 3 years-so he has alot to learn!
(I plan on teaching him!!) He also says that ferret demand in our area
is increasing.  I know there is alot of debate concerning MF but I am
promoting ferret awareness and I don't want to bite the hand that feeds
me-so to speak!  It is his store and if I want to be invited back-I best
behave myself and I'm sure that means no MF bashing!  So, to have babies
available or not?  (I WILL promote the shelters in my area!) I also visited
2 vet clinics today-one DOES NOT do wild animals!  I'm not kidding-(using
no names here)the guy looked 80 years old and that is exactly what he told
me!  I knew it was in my best interest to just say thank you and walk out!
The other one was a young man who ia fairly new to our area and he has had
some experience with ferrets.  He agreed to let me hang a flyer in his
waiting room and he also agreed to fill out a questionaire for me relating
his education and experience, and provide me with a list of his prices!
So, things are moving right along!  I had a lot of people suggest wonderful
idea for fundraising!  It amazes me what some people will do to raise
money!  Some were wonderfully silly ideas!  Several suggested that I do
this and I am not real sure about it, but here goes: I am in this alone-so
far, no one from my area has stepped forward to help!  I must foot the
whole bill for this myself!  ( I do have a printer who will give me a
4cents a copy deal!  So that will help ALOT!! )  Anyone out there who would
like to donate a dollar-just one dollar, please send it to the address
below!  Please don't send more than a dollar because I will send it back!!
Just one!  (And don't anybody be a wise guy and send $1.50 just to see if I
will send it back!!)  Most of us have to watch our pennies closely, so if
you have a spare buck, I can make 25 copies off that!!  Or if you have
something that you think might be of interest-send that!  Anything and
everything will be greatly appreciated!  I know that there are other ferret
owners in my area and I do believe that once they know there are other
ferret people interested in doing ferrety things, we'll end up with a grand
old group!  And maybe after we get this pet store educated and straightened
out-we'll move on to the next!  One step at a time!!  Thanks to all!!

Della and the Tumbleweeds!
Tyson(always looking for that ear!)
Einstein(usually covering his!)
JUDY COOKE