From:
"Mary R. Shefferman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:45:55 -0500
Gabrielle Lastname <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Ferrets are sensitive, living, thinking creatures with wishes and wills.
>We should not just subject them to surgical treatment after surgical
>treatment, or to taking medicines they hate, without considering how
>they feel about the whole process.  Who are we to decide that for them?
>We do so now because we have to - but if we can learn what they want,
>we should respect that.

The problem with this thinking is that the ferret can't base his
decisions on knowledge.  Sure ferrets are smart, but I doubt they can
understand the implications of treatment or x-rays or bloodtests.  Do
they understand that the surgery is going to increase their life?  Or is
their understanding limited to the creature comforts (or lack thereof)
involved?  Ferrets just aren't that intellectually sophisticated.  Yes,
they have feelings and wishes, but they are more like those of a child
than a fully educated adult.  You would take the feelings of a child into
consideration and do your best to reassure the child, but you wouldn't
allow the child to make treatment decisions for him/herself.  We are
guardians for our ferrets and sometimes that means doing things they may
not like for their own good.  They key is to reassure the ferret as best
as we can that we are doing these things to help, not harm him or her.
I don't think our Knuks (who was one of the smartest ferrets I've ever
encountered) would have wanted the last surgery she had.  I think she
really wanted to go.  But *no one* knew what was inside her causing the
problem.  If she had a chance to live and play, it was my responsibility
to ensure that she got that chance.  Upon opening her up, it was clear
that the only choice was to let her go.  Knuks' last waking moments were
with Eric and me, loving her, reassuring her ... then she went off to
sleep.  Again, I don't think Knuks could have intellectually grasped the
situation, and thus she could not make the best decision for herself.

So, yes, you need to understand your ferret might be afraid or concerned
about medical treatment and you need to acknowledge that and try your
best to convey to your ferret that he/she can trust your judgment; but,
no, I don't think they can make medical treatment decisions for
themselves.

--Mary & the Fuzzies

Mary & The Modern Ferrets
Trixie, Koosh, & Gabby