Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:07:10 EDT
Sorry I am late in writing a response to this.  It took a statement that
I wrote and then expounded on something else, implying that I found
employees of pet stores to be brainless lumps.  It was so offensive to me
personally, that I did not feel strong enough to go back and reread it
until this morning..

As it had nothing to do with what I had written, yet was written as though
it was a reply- I do want to point out that I only purchased things from
Petco a few years ago to place in the cages of any of the ferrets AT the
store-- if they had no bedding or toys or food.

This helped me to befriend managers who could see I would buy from their
store AND help them clip nails and clean ears.  When Sunny was set in the
back to die-I walked in and was told immediately because I was someone to
trust.

I DO purchase things from shelters and mainly now from The Ferret Store.
I support my ferret community.  The Ferret Store gave me $20 off my last
order for ordering so much this time, and because I had ordered so much
in the past.  I was already getting a savings.  But then another $20 off?
I was really happy about that.

And they do not charge shipping.  The people are great to talk to on
the phone.  They help me care for my little guys properly, Go to
www.TheFerretStore.  Pages of ferret stuff-and other animal stuff.

>pet store employees are brain-less lumps, never believe anything they say

This is what was written in response to what I wrote that is supposed to
be my attitude towards people.  This was written in response to my writing
that I commended people who I have met at pet stores at PETCO-not this
persons pet store.  I then went on-talking about Petco employees -to write
that there are rules set in place at Petco.  People working there have to
abide by them, or risk losing their jobs.

I have rules in my business.  People who do not abide by them are given
verbal warning, a written warning they must sign and date, and the third
time they do not abide by a specific rule-they are fired.  None of these
people following or not following rules are "brainless lumps."  And there
is nothing wrong with expecting employees to abide by rules set.

I think it is really wonderful to have small or large pet business care
personally for the animals.  We did not have that going on for the most
part in this area that I saw in non-Petco stores.  We had multiple health
violations in many.  We had one that had a small cage for a bear in the
front that was so inhumane it was unbelievable.  We had stores just up
and close leaving all kinds of animals to starve to death inside.  This
is still ocurring, as I read the paper over the last few years.  There is
one family run store I know of that cared in Lincolnwood.  But that is it
in the stores I visited.

Maria was left to burn alive in one.  Mini-Me was covered in fleas and
locked in cage with no blanket or toy or food or water given more than
once a day or love for at least 7 months in another.  There was one that
had a ferret for over a year that was wild and hopping with fleas and
FILTHY in this old drunks pet store.  He died.

At the over priced Petco stores that I visited-there is a great turn over.
The salaries are low for the back breaking work that must be done.  These
kids are lifting hundreds of pounds of food and litter over their heads to
pass to people on top shelves.  Loading and unloading with no back support
or lifts being used or knees bent made me cringe to watch.  Managers must
stay until 1 or 2 in the morning at certain stores.  They were family men
and women who could not see their children or go to church as they wished.
So they left.It is NOT an easy job that I saw at Petco stores around me.

A number of the ladies I talked to around the ferret containers that
worked for Petco ended up with 5 or 6 ferrets as their companions that
originally were sick and put in the back, or too young, or had been there
too many months.  They really cared.  When the store closed for the
night-the ferrets were taken out to walk around on leashes.

Most did not know ferrets needed to further their distemper shots, should
not be eating fruits and vegetables, and other things.  I had to bring in
books and articles so that they would believe me.  If some of you will
recall-not that many years ago-Petco had signs up indicating that ferret
should have carrots and other vegetables.  I got the managers to take
those down in the stores I visited.

Again-I think it is great to see people caring as they should about other
species-anywhere.  But especially at a pet store-where perspective buyers
need knowledge to make wise decisions, and animals need loving care as
they are torn from home and mother to a strange new world.

I commend and am thankfull to all who go out of their way to care for the
helpless.  But I never wrote or implied that I shopped at Petco, which I
was accused of.  Nor did I in any way say people are brainless lumps.  I
do not think that is even in me to categorize peole like that.