From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 18:20:53 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    "Aimee Hettinger (BIO)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferrets sick

Adrenal disease in ferrets can be treated either medically using a drug
called Lysodren or surgery.  Most vets prefer the surgical option since we
can, in a lot but not all cases, cure the ferret.  Insulinoma is probably
best treated medically.  New evidence suggests that even large solitary
insulinoma tumors (which used to be treated surgically) have microscopic
spread throughout the pancreas that will need to be treated medically.

>From:    Denis Dubois <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: surgery post-poned - lysodren side-effects?
>Whidbey's second adrenal/exporatory surgery has been post-poned at the
>surgeon's suggestion.  The pre-op blood work came back with really high
>levels of the liver enzyme ALT.

I can see skin lesions from the effects of hyper adrenal disease even in
ferrets being on lysodren.  Side effects of Lysodren include: nausea,
vomiting, hypoglycemia and anorexia.