From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:30:31 -0400
It seemed like an ordinary found ferret rescue.  It had been in this guy's
garage for 4 days and they had put out dog food for it.  It was very
skittish, but he finally caught it, put it in a box and gave Bev a call.

When she got there and took one look she said "Mister, you have a mink
here." "Do you rescue minks?" he asked.  Well, she had to take it.  It
hissed and screamed at her when it was transferred to the carrier via a
handy tube.

It's quite small, about 8 week old kit size, and the glimpses we saw of its
teeth also suggest youth.  Very dark glossy brown, almost black, all over,
with the white patch on its chin.  We haven't handled it to see if it is
male or female.

There are no mink ranches in the immediate area and no known wild mink, so
our only guess is someone bought it from a ranch (there is a large one south
of here) and decided it was more than they could handle so turned in loose.

Any hints on how to handle a mink? Anyone know any good mink web pages? We
have someone who is willing to try to tame it.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html