From:
Sara Gennusa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:58:41 -0400
Hey FMLers,

My name is Sara Gennusa, and I used to be a regular on this board.  I
lived in NJ and worked at a Peto, where I helped educate people about
proper ferret care and rescued needy fuzzies in my free time.  I think
that several of you used to come in to see me (Sukie, I know you remember
me).  I miss being connected to the ferret community.

I currently live in St.  Thomas, VI with four fuzzies (Gizmo went over
the bridge, and Nibbles stayed with her boarding mom), MJ, Oracle, and
two new additions, Munchkin and Tucker.  If anyone else resides in the
VI, please let me know.  I'm beginning to think that my fuzzies are the
only ones down here.

I've realized that there are several new problems that I have to deal
with in the VI.  Because ferrets are few and far between, my vet, though
experienced in ferret care from his days in the states, has not performed
many ferret surgeries recently, and I have two middle-aged fuzzies.  He
does however, have Lupron on hand in the office, should one of my fuzzies
need it.  Also I know that heartworm is a problem down here, but I don't
know how to get the medication into my guys.  The only ferret approved
one is a big ol block, and I can't get them to chew it up and eat it.
Any ideas?

I am using my time down here to educate people about ferrets.  Most
common question "What's a ferret?".  The best answer I can give is that
it's a tamed mongoose, because we have mongoose down here and locals know
what they look like.  Whenever I bring my guys out on the town, everyone
wants to meet them.  So I guess I have fuzzy ambassadors.

I can say one thing that I've learned about being down here: Delta has
a great pet shipping program.  If you ever need to shi your babies as
cargo, which necessity forced me to do, they have a pressurized cabin
specifically for pets that ensures their well-being.  Wen I had to take
their paperwork to customs, I was concerned they would be left on the
tarmac, but the staff got them fresh water and put them in the coolest
warehouse until I got back.  Bravo Delta!!!

Anyways, I'm happy to be back on the list.  Please feel free to e-mail me
if you knew me in NJ!!!  I'd love to hear how some of my rescued fuzzies
are doing.

Love and Dooks,
Sara and the Fuzzy Four