From: Lorraine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:39:52 -0500
Dear FML'ers,

This is my response to Jack Hanna in regards to his comments on Larry King
Live.  I got the email address off his Animal Adventures website.

Regards,

Lorraine, Tinkerbell (Jack Who???) and Tigerlily (Let me at 'im, let me at
'im!)

Dear Mr. Hanna,

I have been a longtime fan of you and your many efforts to bring animal
and environmental education and appreciation to the general public.  I
have also been a member of the Columbus Zoo prior to my recent relocation
to Columbia, South Carolina (which has a small but growing zoo, too.)  I
recently watched your appearance on the Larry King Live show.

I must admit that I was shocked and dismayed by what can only be described
as your surprisingly uneducated comments on domestic ferrets.  As a leader
and role model in the wildlife education field, it is incumbent that you
check your facts and keep your biases to yourself in dispensing information
to the public, especially to a national audience.

I have had two ferrets for the past 4 years, along with my three cats.  I
have never had any incidents of biting or other aggressive behavior from
either of my ferrets, other than the rare litterbox miss.  The alleged
story of the baby "destroyed" by ferrets in Columbus is sheer fabrication.
As a Columbus resident, zoo member, and member of the Ohio ferret owning
community for the past several years, I can assure you that you are
misinformed in this instance.  There was a baby in the Cleveland area last
year who was thought to have been attacked by a ferret while the baby's
parents were in a drunken stupor, but the authorities found so many
inconsistencies in the parents' story that they questioned whether or not
the ferret was actually even involved.  The ferret was subsequently adopted
out to a shelter and has never exhibited any aggressive behavior.  The
parents were convicted of child endangerment and neglect and were sent to
prison.

In the future, please be mindful of the information you disseminate on
national TV.  Ferrets make excellent pets for those who (like any
responsible owner of any other domestic pet) are informed, caring and
responsible owners.

Thanks,

Lorraine Abraham