From:
Jill Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 02:57:55 -0600
HI!  I just had a few concerns about one of my ferrets and thought some of
you might be able to give me some good advice.

I moved to Texas, from Wyoming, about two months ago, and once here took my
ferrets, Sheika (female, 3 yrs) and Potter (male, 2.5 yrs) to the vet for
their yearly shots and physical.  Within a week Sheika was not looking or
acting herself.  I had seen a tinge of green, slimy stuff in her stool a few
times and eventually called the vet (I had never heard of ECE before
subscribing to the FML).  From what I described on the phone, they suggested
that it was probably ECE and she should be put on antibiotics right away.  I
did this and she perked up within a couple of days.

I am now wondering if it was actually ECE at all.  Once reading up on it
more (books, FAQ, etc.) The symptoms seem more like she had a cold and the
green was because she hadn't digested her food 100%.  Another reason I am
questioning it is because Potter never had any signs of this disease.  Also,
the only possible place for Sheika to have picked it up was at the vet
clinic.  What do you think?  Are there any tests that can be done to verify
that she has, or has had, this virus?

Another question concerning Sheika (she is the one more apt to have
something wrong with her, Potter is very hardy).  For more than a year she
has been coughing.  It is a dry, hacking type of cough.  When it first
started I thought she might have a bowel obstruction because she was
throwing up some of the time (but she eats, drinks, and goes in any corner
just fine!).  Now I think she is throwing up because she is coughing so
hard.  None of the vets I have talked to have any clear idea what it might
be.  My vet here said if it continues to have her come in for some x-rays of
her heart and lungs (I'm going to call him Monday).  Have any of you had
anything like this happen to your ferrets?  I would greatly appreciate any
suggestions you might have.

I have been subscribing to the FML for about a month now, and have really
enjoyed many of the stories, limericks, and bumper stickers.  It sure is
nice to know that my ferrets aren't the only ones who like the shower,
fireplace, and have an 80% hit rate.  I certainly have learned a great deal
about ferret diseases.  This list has helped me a lot in learning about
ferrets.  I hadn't realized I was so ignorant!

Thank you in advance for any insight you might provide me.

                                Jill