From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:51:24 -0700
>From:    "JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Distemper, Fetal Environment
>Yes to all the above.  Fervac-D is a modified live virus grown in chick
>embryo culture.  I assume Galaxy-D is, too, but I haven't spoken with that
>manufacturer so I'm not 100% certain.

I believe Galaxy-D is simian not chick embryo.  The old Solvay product
Fromm-D was chic embryo.

>From:    Adrienne Boerger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Response to Bill Killian
>I knew when I wrote the post that I would get some negative responses,
>however much of what I said was taken very, very wrong.

I guess people took my comments too strongly as well.  There is no
definitive way to describe all the different types of breeders.  It really
is possible to breed ferrets on a small scale and be doing it for all the
right reasons.  Many of the breeders across the country also run shelters at
the same time.  The term "responsible breeder" is often used to describe
those of us who limit the number of litters we have by the ability we have
to place those kits in good homes, those of us who won't breed animals with
known genetic defects and those of us who work very hard to ensure that we
are placing animals with good temperments.  We also try very hard to educate
people about the ferrets and to set straight all of the dis-information
which has been spread for years about the unsuitability of ferrets as pets.

On the other hand, there are those breeders who mistakenly believe that
there is money to be made in the breeding of ferrets.  These "backyard
breeders" (and the term doesn't not necessarily refer only to people who
keep their animals outside) breed all the jills they have, and sometimes
more than once a year, try to save on expenses such as food and vet expenses
by selling kits at eight weeks or less instead of the twelve weeks or later
that most of the responsible breeders adhere to.  These breeders don't
bother to try to educate because in many cases they don't know that much
about the animals they are breeding themselves.

Those of us who are considered responsible breeders are always trying to
educate ourselves about the ferrets.  Every day we seem to find something
new about our companions.  By comparing notes with other breeders we can
find the right foods to feed, the pros and cons of the different types of
litters as well as discussing possible dominent and recessive genes.  This
information is then passed along through various sources such as the FML.

As with most things, there are good and bad versions.  There are no good or
bad terms which adquately describe types of breeders or their operations.
"Ferret ranch," for example is used to decribe a large operation which can
either be good or bad depending solely upon the owner/management of that
ranch.  It is also possible for a ferret ranch to be run by a responsible
breeder.  The term "ferret mill" also is used to describe a large operation
but this term is used in a negative connotation only and responsible never
enters into it.  These terms should not be interchangeable.  "Hobby breeder"
has been used to describe smaller breeders; again it can be good or bad
depending upon the person/persons associated with it.  "Backyard breeder" is
the term usually associted with a small breeder and it carries the negative
connotation with it.

There have been too many posts which lump all breeders together in the same
group and thereby making them guilty by association.  Again we are sorry for
overreacting, or seeming to if the folks like us weren't being referred to
in the negative comments.  Thanks for the use of the term "expert" however,
like everyone else, we are all still learning.  All we try to do is pass
along the ideas we have learn along with all the truly wonderful information
we've picked up through all of the people we talk to.

>From:    Karri Knutson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Leashes, digging, tubes, etc.

Maggots (juvenile flys) can be a problem is a moist environment.  I think if
you use a good disinfectant and try to get the cage completely dry before
you put things like food bowls and litter pans back you'll have less
problem.  Despite the problems of walking on the mesh floors for the
ferrets, the better circulation seems to limit the moisture problems.  We
prefer mesh floor cages with pull out trays undereath, then we put carpet
samples down to protect the ferret's feet.  If the water bottle drips over
the mesh it doesn't have as much chance of having food gather underneath and
becoming fly egg sites.  You might also try a different litter in your box.

I suspect you might want to look into fly paper near the cage to catch flies
attracted to the cage, hopefully before they lay their eggs.  Maybe a less
humid location for the cage if you can arrange that or possibly putting a
portable dehumidifier nearby.  Without seeing your environment I can't know
exactly what the best solutions might be.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]