From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:09:06 -0400
>Tenaka is a 4 year old male altered ferret with no previous significant
>medical history.  About a month ago or so, he started actively going
>after the two altered females in the house.  I have separated him from
>the group.  When reintroduced back in, the same behavior pattern occurs.
>He shows no other symptoms that would indicate adrenal disease.  He has
>a hearty appetite, and no hair loss.

I would still consider adrenal disease as the main differential here.  I
have seen many adrenal ferrets without hair loss, and if he were my own, I
probably would go ahead and do exploratory surgery, expecting to find at
least one adrenal mass.  You could do bloodwork, but understand that it is
not 100% accurate.  Some adrenal masses are palpable by an experienced vet,
so you might want to make a good physical exam the first step.  About a
year ago, I went in surgically on a ferret with no signs at all, except
that I could feel an enlarged adrenal gland.  It was about the size of an
almond, and was a carcinoma.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.