From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 00:40:29 -0700
I had one with ringworm once, the more common variant. He had got it
from another animal (a cat) before he was rescued. We put him on meds
and kept him away from the other ferrets, washed his bedding every day,
and let him run by himself and vaccuumed as best we could afterward.
We just didn't want to have 30 to treat at the time.

What species is it?

I would say it's uncommon but again it depends on how many animals you
let your fuzzies around.

It is usually spread from other animals, but can spread to and from
people, too.

Another thing to worry about is Tinea vericolor (not actually
ringworm). I don't know how your vet tested, but I worked on a farm as
a caretaker. The horses had Tinea versicolor as well as the house cats,
barn cats, and the kids and mom that I worked with. I eventually got
it, even though the doctors said that animals couldn't get it and
people can't spread it. I got it from somewhere!

I had to have Ketoconozole and all sorts of tests on my liver due to
the length I was on it to fight the versicolor. It's actually a type
of yeast/skin disorder. During that time none of my ferrets got it but
I refrained from touching or kissing them during that time...sorry
kiddos! Gloves and no kisses for a YEAR.

Laryssa