From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 08:14:29 EST
I thought I could handle this on my own but it's not improving.  Two and a
half weeks ago, I got two new babies.  They are 9 weeks old now.  Lany, my
2+ year old deaf (formerly youngest) is being terrible to them!  She grabs
them and shakes them pretty violently.  The screaming is terrible.  In
defense of her, a lot of the squealing is when she's not even touching them.
They are terrified of her!  I'm torn between protecting them and letting
them learn to fend for themselves.  There has been no blood so far (that
I've seen).  I don't know what to do!  Lany is about 2 1/2 pounds and the
babies are under 1 pound.  They are learning to run from her but haven't
quite gotten the knack of not backing themselves into corners (like behind
doors).  At first, I got in the middle of it and separated them but have
since learned that that could make it worse.  It's really hard not to rescue
the babies but I try to wait until it's kinda over before I pick them up and
comfort them.

I have the babies in a separate cage from the older ones.  The cages are
right next to each other.  Hopefully, this is only temporary.  I switch
their bedding every couple of days.  Lily, my oldest, has tried to play with
them (after a week or two of completely ignoring them) but they seem a
little afraid of her.  I think they're waiting to be attacked.  I feel
really sorry for Lily because she just wants to play.

I try to give the two pairs separate time out of their cages but I also try
to let them out at the same time some so they can interact.  Any suggestions
about what to do about Lany?  Any and all advise is appreciated.

One funny note...last night Blaze (baby) wandered under the guest bedroom
dresser, where Lily and Lany were asleep.  Well, Lany immediately woke up
and attacked her.  She sprayed them.  They then had to go find another place
to sleep for the duration.  It really stunk under there!

Another subject: a few weeks ago, I posted that I had written Sandicast
about their classification of ferrets as "wild".  Yesterday, I got a letter
from Steve Yaptangco, Guild Coordinator.  Part of it says:

"After reading your letter..., I called various organizations in California
to request information on how to classify ferrets--wild or domestic?  My
three telephone conversations yielded three varying points of view:
1/domestic, 1/semi-domestic, and 1/wild.  However, the three did agree that
there should be more study into the ferret classification issue.  I have
requested more information from these organizations regarding this matter."

Just thought you might be interested that at least Sandicast cares enough to
research this concern.  By the way, they are located in San Diego.

About a week ago, a young lady came to my door and told me she was
collecting money for the Sierra Club to save the woodlands.  I won't go into
detail but she definitely won't come to my door again.  I also let her know
that she really didn't know much about the organization she was collecting
money for based on her answers to my questions.

     Hugs & Kisses to all your babies!

     Katharine
     Lily, Lany, Blaze, and Champ