Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:26:47 -0400
It was a little disturbing to me to read that some vets still use the
heart stick to put a ferret to sleep. This seems almost archaic. All of
my vets use the same simple procedure, which has been a very peaceful
way to help my ferrets pass on when the time comes.

The ferret gets a little anesthesia, then gets a catheter put in his or
her arm. I then will hold the ferret in my arms, gently caressing and
talking to them in their last moments, while also giving them a little
ferretone. The vet will then inject the euthanasia medicine into the
catheter in their arm, and they pass away as peacefully as can be in a
matter of seconds, sometimes right in mid-lick of some ferretone. Never
any sign of any pain or discomfort whatsoever. They just stop.

It's always so difficult to have to put them to sleep, but I know that
doing it this way is the most humane and gentle way of letting them go.
I wish all vets would do this.

Jeff
In Loving Memory of Neo, Trinity, Morphy, Dozer, Possum, Pip, Pop,
Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Hunny, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Baby Girl, Boomer, and Zoomer